"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 10-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
Everymom

Black and White cookies

You must chill this dough so start cookies about 4 hours before you want to bake them.

1 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup butter

Put butter on top of chocolate chips and melt in microwave for about 45 seconds or until chocolate is melted and smooth.

1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour

Stir sugar into chocolate, add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and baking powder, stir. Add flour and mix well. Chill dough for a few hours or overnight. Make walnut sized balls and roll them in icing sugar. Place on cookie sheet and bake @ 350 for about 12 - 15 minutes.

Old 10-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Ahh heck Alix, I have to go to a reunion and here you have me drooling all over myself over these cookies...But thanks, they look so good...Will try them sometime next week...If I can wait that long

kadesma

Old 10-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Alix, there's some kind of famous cookies for people in the Northeast here (NY, MA) called black and white cookies, but I don't think these are it.

Maybe Andy M or geebs or abjcooking could add a recipe for the ones I'm thinking of. Yours sound very good, tho!
Old 10-01-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
Everymom

Mudbug, the only other Black and Whites I know of are Oreos.

Kadesma, these are a chocoholics dream. Very fudgy and skooshy. Ken loves these.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
Head Chef

Alix, these cookies sound fantastic! And so easy!

I take it that "icing sugar" is confectioner's or powdered sugar? You roll them before you bake but not after? And they still stay white?

How many cookies does your recipe make, approx?

Lee
Old 10-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #6
Everymom

Yes Qsis, powdered sugar. And you roll them before you bake so they sort of crack and look black and white.

Um...it makes about 2 dozen decent sized cookies. I only make that many because if you don't eat them quickly they stale out fast.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:24 AM   #7
Executive Chef

That's a cut/paste! Thans Alix!

When I went to save it, I found out I already had a recipe by that name. I'm going to post it for mudbug. Hopefully that's the recipe they're looking for. I haven't made them.

Black and White Cookies

For the Cookies:
2 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking powder
t baking soda
t salt
2/3 c butter or margarine, at room temperature
c granulated sugar
c packed light-brown sugar
1/3 c buttermilk
1 egg
2 t vanilla
For the Icings:
1 c semisweet chocolate chips
1 T solid vegetable shortening
3 T milk
2 c confectioners' sugar
Pinch salt

Prepare cookies: Position an oven rack in center of oven and a second rack in lower third. Heat oven to 350F. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt on waxed paper. Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in buttermilk, egg, and vanilla until well blended. On low speed, beat in flour mixture in 3 additions. Drop batter by level c onto 2 large ungreased baking sheets, spacing about 3” apart. Using a metal spatula, spread into 2” rounds. Bake for 8 minutes; switch positions of baking sheets. Bake another 7 - 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool baking sheets on a wire rack 1 minute. Transfer cookies to rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare icings: For black (chocolate) icing, melt chocolate chips and shortening in top of a double boiler over barely simmering, not boiling, water, stirring until smooth. Let cool.
For white icing, beat milk, confectioners' sugar, and salt in a medium-size bowl until a spreading consistency, adding more milk if necessary; cover with plastic wrap.
Turn cooled cookies flat side up; brush off any crumbs. Spread 1 T white icing on half of each cookie. Spread 1 T chocolate icing on the other half of each cookie. Let dry. Store between sheets of waxed paper in a sealed container.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Very fudgy and skooshy.
hehe Love the description. I'll be trying these soon! They sound delish.

Z
Old 10-02-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Allen, your recipe sounds like the cookies I've seen. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #10
Everymom

Hey Allen, always room for one more. Wouldn't it be neat if there were more Black and White cookie recipes out there? Post 'em here folks.

Tags
None