Browned butter sour cream cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
browned butter sour cream cookies

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, browned and cooled some
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup sour cream

mix together sugar, butter, sour cream, vanilla and egg. mixture will be very wet. now mix the dry ingredients that you have sifted together in another bowl together with the wet mixture. blend thoroughly but not excessively. using rounded tablespoons, drop cookie dough, well spaced, onto greased pans or use parchment paper. bake in 350 oven for 10-12 minutes, until just the very edges of the cookies turn brown. recipe is for 4 dozen cookies.

Last edited:
I have a favorite cookie frosting recipe using browned butter, but I've never put it into the cookies. Sounds like these will be my next batch of cookies. Thanks!

I'm thinking of using browned butter in my chocolate chip cookies next time, I bet that it would add some great flavor.

LOL!

Browned butter tossed with egg noodles tastes like some complex side dish, but it is so simple and delicious.

LOL!

Browned butter tossed with egg noodles tastes like some complex side dish, but it is so simple and delicious.

oooh yesss - with lotsa different noodles! i luv puddles of it in and on my hot cream of wheat--with or without pockets of fruit and berry preserves. an' the darker the browned butter, the nuttier and yummier....:)

I made a batch yesterday -- mighty good. But I think maybe even better today. There was a big fight in the kitchen between these and Alix's Lemon Shortbreads, but I didn't have any lemons.

I'm toying with the idea of making a filling & pasting them together (then I can honestly only have "one" cookie for dessert).

i must be extra sensitive to the taste of baking soda or something--the tiniest, most minuscule amount of it can ruin an entire batch of bakings for me. i made these cookies using 3 teaspoons baking powder instead of half and half bp and bs, and they came out great. tin, you must be much better at self-delusion than me. i'm an unapologetic two-fisted cookie eater myself.... :)

Ah, those were the days....when I could eat anything and everything I wanted without consequences. Now even the thought of cookies puts on weight. Admittedly, my activity level has dropped seriously, but I detest excercise as such* and it's too durn hot outside to put in a nice, long work day. Now that it's Fall and cooler, maybe the calories out & in will level out and I can scarf down goodies with abandon. Gather ye rosebuds, folks, before the years catch up and play mean tricks on your waistline.

*That's flimsy, isn't it?

I made a batch yesterday -- mighty good. But I think maybe even better today. There was a big fight in the kitchen between these and Alix's Lemon Shortbreads, but I didn't have any lemons.

I'm toying with the idea of making a filling & pasting them together (then I can honestly only have "one" cookie for dessert).

i like your idea, tin. these cookies would be good with different fillings i'll bet. i think i will try them with apricot preserves.

sounds bomb!!! with a nice creamy frosting too, and maybe some macerated berries!? wowzers i'm drooling!!

Back
Top Bottom