"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #71
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i made them last night with swiss chocolate cake mix . put in chopped cherrys.

must have undercooked them. made huge ones so oven not on so long in heat. they tend to fall apart. very fudgy. don't taste any difference between swiss or regular chocolate.

babe
Big ones take longer to cook and don't hold togther as well as the smaller ones. Try using a heaping Tablespoon to drop the rounds.
__________________

__________________
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #72
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
But what if you do like the bigger cookies? Is there a trick to making them so they hold together better? Cause mine fall apart as well...
__________________

__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Mine have never fallen apart. I use a #70 ice cream scoop/disher to portion out my cake mix cookies/all cookies. The cookies produced are about 3 inches in diameter. I have about 4 or 5 different scoops/dishers I use for cookies/candies/meatballs. Just me.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #74
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Mine have never fallen apart. I use a #70 ice cream scoop/disher to portion out my cake mix cookies/all cookies. The cookies produced are about 3 inches in diameter. I have about 4 or 5 different scoops/dishers I use for cookies/candies/meatballs. Just me.
Was that bragging??

I should have been more specific on cookie size, when I say large I mean about 4" or larger. 3" to me is about standard, but seems when I try to do those large or jumbo cookies (which I absolutely love as long as they are soft and chewy!) they fall apart.
__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Was that bragging??

I should have been more specific on cookie size, when I say large I mean about 4" or larger. 3" to me is about standard, but seems when I try to do those large or jumbo cookies (which I absolutely love as long as they are soft and chewy!) they fall apart.
Yeah, yeah, yeah! No, not bragging. But maybe a lack of moisture might be the problem. Maybe adding a little water or fruit juice appropriate to the cookie's flavor might help.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #76
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
That might be it, I kept thinking it was too much moisture. I will go the other way and try them moister, thanks!
__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #77
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
I'm not sure how to make them hold together at that size since the basis of the cookie is a cake mix and they are usually moist, soft, and crumbly. We are really making mini-cakes here that are cookie sized. Maybe lower baking temp and longer cooking time to firm the bottoms a bit more?????
__________________
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Big ones take longer to cook and don't hold togther as well as the smaller ones. Try using a heaping Tablespoon to drop the rounds.

dave, that is what i did. and think it was too short of cooking time. will do again of course and let u know what happens.

babe
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #79
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
dave, that is what i did. and think it was too short of cooking time. will do again of course and let u know what happens.

babe

babe,

I bake mine for 10-12 minutes on a parchment line cookie sheet at 350 degrees and have the oven rack at the top 1/3 setting.

Hope this helps.
__________________
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
babe,

I bake mine for 10-12 minutes on a parchment line cookie sheet at 350 degrees and have the oven rack at the top 1/3 setting.

Hope this helps.
had mine on middle rack.

babe

will try your way.

__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.