"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 09-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

You can, if you don't mind eating plastic & trans fats :P

Old 09-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #12
Wine Guy

I grew up on margarine, so I didn't know the difference until I got older and started using butter. I can absolutely taste the difference now, and won't ever go back to margarine again.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
Master Chef

You could use baking margerine but it taste gross to me. I've never liked it, I prefer the real thing and just use it less often.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
Master Chef

Hey, Snip, glad to see you back. When people use the cheaper alternative, sometimes it is because going with more expensive means going without, period. My parents are doing quite well now, but only because Mom could always make a dime go where most people needed a dollar. By the way, my sibs and I are all in our fifties (I'm the eldest and pushing 60) and none have suffered any dire diseases because we grew up on margarine. And, I have to say, some of us still prefer margarine to butter, and salad dressing (i.e., brand name Miracle Whip, but Mom never bought a brand name anything if something else was cheaper) instead of mayonaise.

She also used to buy "GI brand" canned goods. That was before stores had store brands. At the commissary you'd find cans of food that were unlabelled and just stamped something like, Beans, Green, SN#12341533. One day she bought a can of "Peas, Green", got them home and realized they were La Soeur baby peas (the best of the best in canned peas in those days). She got back in the car and bought a case! (most of the "GI Brand" stores were excess stuff that the companies sold to the military at cut rates).
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I'm broke, I don't want to waste any of my money on food that I don't think is food. I buy butter,not margarine, and use less or none when I'm broke. I'm not just talking about running out of cash. I'm talking about not having money for a long time, like the winter we ate rabbit most nights because they came from exDH's snare line.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My mom always used margarine. It was what they could afford. It was no problem, and few people knew the difference. Since us kids never had butter, we sure as heck didn't. Just use stick butter for same = same measurements, not soft or whipped.
Even with the off base subsistence allowances and commissary privileges?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
By the way, my sibs and I are all in our fifties (I'm the eldest and pushing 60) and none have suffered any dire diseases because we grew up on margarine.
Billions of people smoke cigarettes, & not all of them get health issues because of it. Others are prone or have weak immune systems & get deathly ill.
I'd rather not risk my health for a difference of $2, & I wouldn't recommend anyone else do either.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If you look out for sales or go to club stores, butter can often be had for a similar price as brand name margarine. I paid $1.79 per pound for my last batch of butter. I think that since the cost of veg oil went up a couple years ago margarine isn't as cheap as it used to be. The cheap ones are full of water and things to help them hold their shape.

I grew up on margarine, I prefer butter, and stay away from processed fats when possible. That's a personal choice and what others do is their business.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
Executive Chef

One of my grandmothers used oleo and the other butter and / or leaf lard . The oleo using grandmother's cookies were like a rock and she lived 5 years less than the butter / lard user. Danish butter cookies are more esteemed than Danish margarine cookies. I'm in the camp that believes smaller portions of the good stuff is better than larger portions of the not so good.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
If you look out for sales or go to club stores, butter can often be had for a similar price as brand name margarine. I paid $1.79 per pound for my last batch of butter. I think that since the cost of veg oil went up a couple years ago margarine isn't as cheap as it used to be. The cheap ones are full of water and things to help them hold their shape.

I grew up on margarine, I prefer butter, and stay away from processed fats when possible. That's a personal choice and what others do is their business.
I paid $1.69 for Cabot butter. House brand was $1.59. Sometimes Cabot is the same price as the house brand. That is when I stock up on it. Cabot is out of Vermont. We get daily freshly made shipments each day. Our closest factory for Land of Lakes is in NJ. And it cost more than Cabot's. I hope the price for Cabot's stays stable for at least another month. That way I can stock up for the winter. Otherwise, it is back to house brand.

Tags
butter