Can I replace butter with margarine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow that's a great price for Cabot! Cabot butter is more rare down here, you can find it, but only a couple stores carry it. It is usually over $3 per pound! House brands range from $2.69-3.00 regular price, but I stock up when I'm in the club store, or when a grocery store has a good sale.

About a month ago our warehouse sent out "Richfoods" unsalted butter, it was supposed to be packaged as house brand, but there was an error in the factory, so our dairy manager sold it to the employees for $.89 a pound! I was able to get 4 pounds, I wish I could have bought the whole case, but I shared with my fellow employees, LOL!

Yes, you can replace butter with margarine, but don't blame us for the confrontation that follows!

agucmint-011403.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Claire :)
Nice to be back, just been too broke to pay my Internet lol! I know all about tightening the purse strings, I do it on a daily basis. Still don't eat margerine. I only eat bread once in a blue moon so I treat myself with real butter and mash potato just tastes bad without it. My kids love soft margerine so I buy a tub of the stuff for them and a small butter for myself. We don't use mayo or salad dressing. I buy most of my foods in bulk and share with friends to save cash, eat loads of pulses and fresh veggies and a staple in our home is canned tuna and sardines lol! Nice to hear from you again, hope you are well :)

Wow that's a great price for Cabot! Cabot butter is more rare down here, you can find it, but only a couple stores carry it. It is usually over $3 per pound! House brands range from $2.69-3.00 regular price, but I stock up when I'm in the club store, or when a grocery store has a good sale.

About a month ago our warehouse sent out "Richfoods" unsalted butter, it was supposed to be packaged as house brand, but there was an error in the factory, so our dairy manager sold it to the employees for $.89 a pound! I was able to get 4 pounds, I wish I could have bought the whole case, but I shared with my fellow employees, LOL!

During one of our trips for leaf peeping, (we always go to Vermont) we stopped at the Cabot Co-op. What really impressed me was the total cleanliness. The average farm will take a cloth dipped in a bleach solution and wipe down the teats and bag before hooking up the machinery. They go from cow to cow without giving the cloth a separate dipping for each cow. At Cabot's, the pail with the solution goes with the person from cow to cow. Wipe down the cow, place the cloth back in the pail of solution, pick up the pail and on to the next cow. You have to wring out the cloth before you use it on the next cow. Starting at the beginning of the line is another person who is disconnecting each cow as it is finished being milked. Then each of the four tubes is removed and placed in a large pail to go in the sterilizer and ready for the next milking. At most farms the connecting tubes are just wiped off as they are disconnected from the cow.

This practice was used at the Western Washington Fair. It was taught to all of the kids who had any cows that were to be judged. It was important for these practices to be followed as they were always on public display and the products were then sold to the public. Ice cream, cream, milk, butter, etc. You could watch the whole process from start to end. A great lesson for city kids as to where their food came from.

BTW, the average Holstein cow gives 25 pounds of milk each day. And the color of the original Holstein from Scotland was red and white, not B&W.

In your kitchen you are the boss and can replace anything that you want to replace. However, there is no replacing butter flavor with margarine flavor. The cookies will be good, but they will not be butter cookies. My friend Hilda from England always says she would never replace butter with that yellow cart grease sold in markets. I follow her suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom