Can't Fail Cookies (Sugar)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Thought I'd posted these years ago, but went looking for them to link them for Dina and couldn't find them. So, here they are.

1 cup shortening (NOT butter)
2/3 cup white sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup eggs (1 or 2 depending on size add water if necessary)
3 cups sifted flour
2 tsp vanilla

Make the dough (cream shortening, add sugar, then eggs and finally flour), and CHILL FOR 2 OR MORE HOURS. That is a crucial step. You must work only with the chilled dough or it will be too sticky to manage. Use a small amount at a time and roll out to about 1/3 - 1/4 inch thickness. Flour your cookie cutters and cut out cookies.

Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Watch closely to see that they don't brown.

Decorate cookies with coloured sugar or coloured glazes.

We save these for Christmas, but they work well for any holiday with themed cookie cutters.

You use shortening or lard for this recipe. The cookies are white and need to remain white for decorating. Also, the texture would be different with butter than with shortening. These cookies are a touch chewier and remain tender for a long time.

Are they shortbread? or sugar cookies?
I figured sugar because of the "(sugar)", but I'm just making sure.
I think I'm baking today... my mom wanted to decorate some cookies. So I might use this.

Gobo, they are sugar type cookies. You will be able to tell if something is shortbread from the ratio of sugar/butter/flour. It is usually 1:2:4 in that order. If a recipe has more sugar than 1/2 the butter its not shortbread.

Try it, these are easy to do but don't forget to chill the dough. And make sure you have cool cookie cutters.

I don't think I have any cookie cutters come to think of it.
That's why everything I make is in ball form. :P hahahah

I have that doughboy cutter from when I made gummies.

Ok.Well lucky for me there is a wal-mart across the street.
I live at what is becoming the most busy spot in the city.
There is so much happing here.
We have Montanas, Swiss Chalet, Wendy's, 2 McDonalds, Wal-Mark, Home Depot, Harvey's, Great Canadian Superstore, A couple clothing stores, sports mart, Pier 1, some other decoration shops, a dollar store, Kelseys, shoppers drug mark, a movie theatre that just finished, and more on the way.

thanks for the recipe...are there any substitutes for shortening?

thanks for the recipe...are there any substitutes for shortening?

Well, you can use any fat (margarine or butter) but it will change both the color and consistency of the cookie. If you want them for decorating then you should try to use either shortening or lard as it will keep the dough white.

Back
Top Bottom