"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cavallucci Christmas cookies

500 grams flour
350 grams sugar
100 grams honey
some anise seeds
100 grams dried and candied orange peel
some cinnamom powder
About 1 or 1/2 teaspoons of ammonium bicarbonate (buy it from a chemist's, or substitute double acting baking powder)

Preparation:
Begin by dissolving the honey,cinnamom and sugar in 4/5 cup of water and simmering the mixture until the syrup dripped from the spoon forms threads. Once the syrup reaches this stage stir in the remaining ingredients (knead in the bicarbonate last). The resulting dough will fairly stiff. Let it sit for a couple of hours, then roll it out into a 3/4-inch diameter cylinder. Pluck off inch-long pieces, shape them roughly into balls, flour them lightly, and put them on a lightly floured baking tin. Bake them until lightly browned in a 320-360 degree oven (160-180 F), at which point they will be dry but chewy, and let them rest for a day before serving them, with a bone-dry vinsanto or a zesty young red wine.

Enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'll try this recipe on the 24th of December... for my parents' Christmas Eve dinner

Old 12-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Head Chef

There will be a faint smell of ammonia when you bake these cookies. It is ok. Sauer is a brand that I have but I am not sure that they make it anymore for home use.

However, do not buy product from China--melamine has been found contaminating it.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
There will be a faint smell of ammonia when you bake these cookies. It is ok. Sauer is a brand that I have but I am not sure that they make it anymore for home use.

However, do not buy product from China--melamine has been found contaminating it.
I think I'll use baking powder... just to avoid the unpleasant smell...

Tags
None