"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 01-20-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
They came out great, the 16oz of trimmed & cut bacon after cooking, came to a volume of just under 1 cup. I think if I make them again, I will want more bacon bits, these aren't all bacony tasting.

I am glad that you enjoyed them. All though, they are not what most would like, I commend you for trying something out of the normal. I guess I am a traditionalist when it comes to CCC, nothing is as good as the original.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
why? why not! be unique, try something different!

I think next time I'll fry the bacon whole, and then crush/chop them up for the dough. All the trimming before took alot of time, and they wern't all bacony tasting.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
I am going to make these again as its my friends annual Memorial Day Weekend Baconfest! Recipe is pretty much Tollhouse's version, but substitute the nuts with bacon.

Last time I spent an awful lot of time trimming the bacon, and they didn't come out very bacony tasting. I won't this time and cook a while 16oz of it. Plus I like my CCC cookies thick/puffy, so I am going to add 1 tbsp of white vinegar to leaven them up more, and chill the dough in the fridge for at least an hour before baking .. maybe 2.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
I am going to make these again as its my friends annual Memorial Day Weekend Baconfest! Recipe is pretty much Tollhouse's version, but substitute the nuts with bacon.

Last time I spent an awful lot of time trimming the bacon, and they didn't come out very bacony tasting. I won't this time and cook a while 16oz of it. Plus I like my CCC cookies thick/puffy, so I am going to add 1 tbsp of white vinegar to leaven them up more, and chill the dough in the fridge for at least an hour before baking .. maybe 2.
I think these sound wonderfully different, something I would try. I've made chocolate covered bacon before and friends love it. Something about the combination of sweet and salty that just pops in your mouth...
Old 05-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #15
Senior Cook

No pics, but most of my past CCCs have been made with shortening or 1/2 & 1/2. This time I went all butter. The dough came out looking abit more darker brown in color than last time IIRC. It also seemed much denser & heavier. When baked, again they seemed just alil bit darker. They also weren't as puffy, (properly chilled for 2 hours), but tasted moister.

edit: Oh yeah, I bent up 1 of my wisk type beaters when adding the CCCs & bacon at the end of mixing. Luckily I had the dough beaters .. I guess I should have used those
Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I might make another batch for an Xmas party.

But instead of frying the bacon, I am going to bake it in the oven .. less grease!

I'll post pics when I make em
Old 12-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I'm not sure what the point of making this is. It sounds just awful. Bacon is delicious, and so are chocolate chip cookies, but together? My question is Why?
Some friends of mine served these at a party. Some folks liked them. I figured I should give them a try. They were worse than anticipated. Waste of chocolate and a waste of bacon.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I'm not sure what the point of making this is. It sounds just awful. Bacon is delicious, and so are chocolate chip cookies, but together? My question is Why?
This is nothing I'd ever covet. However I think the recipe goes to the basics of how humans evolved. Our species evolved in a nutrient scarce environment and those who survived were the ones who craved fat and sweets, and we learned to cook meat along the way. To me the CCC w/bacon involves all the tastes and cravings we humans evolved while the extinct humans who didn't crave these died, from starvation, because they weren't sufficiently motivated.

That's the point of trying them. They're tasty, fatty, salty and sweet. What's not to like about that? Except of course that in our modern day of plenty those who keep craving that stuff and don't exercise (like most of our predecessors did, just to survive) die of clogged arteries, diabetes and excessive fatness.

I'd try one of those cookies just to satisfy my curiosity but I'd never want to cook them, not unless I had a bunch of people to eat them all up before I tasted more than one or two of them.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I might make another batch for an Xmas party.

But instead of frying the bacon, I am going to bake it in the oven .. less grease!

I'll post pics when I make em
Same amount of grease. If you don't see as much grease when you bake the bacon in the oven, it's because it's on the walls, ceiling, floor, and door of your oven.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

josh, send me some to try, nevermnd the naysayers. i applaud your persistence.

i'm a bit dismayed at any foodies who would make up their minds before trying something. even then, it's merely a matter of personal taste. humble pie with bacon might be good.

or it might be gross. but that's the point.

btw, was i the only one who wondered why the civillian conservation corps needed bacon?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None