Chemo cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jep

Assistant Cook
My best friend since first week of freshman year of college (BFSFWOFYOC), and I'm not saying how long ago that was, but "Yesterday" was #1, is in chemo.

I am looking for cookie recipes that:
1) travel well as I'm shipping from FL to CA
2) chocolate is a plus
3) high calorie is a plus

Also, multiple choices will be good because chemo will change what tastes good over time.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Look for recipes that have nutritional punch. Cookies with nuts for example - they contain magnesium which is often depleted during chemo.

Ginger snaps - ginger helps upset stomachs. Use molasses in them as well...
Almond crescents store well
Oatmeal cookies with fruit in them (try bananas or apricots)
Cowboy cookies with chocolate and butterscotch chips, walnuts, and dried cherries in them.

Nice that you are willing to bake and ship ;)

Last edited:
When my sister was in chemo popcorn was her go to item. Caramel corn is fast and easy to make and such a treat to receive. I have a recipe on file at work I can post for you later if you'd like it.

I know she might not have a lot of energy to bake, but would there be someone there who could do that if you sent the dry ingredients all bagged up? That would ship better and fresh baked would be a real treat.

Brown sugar shortbread travels well. 2c butter (NOT marg), 1c brown sugar, 4c flour. Blend into a paste and press into a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes or just until the edges start to get golden and the top looks like its drying a bit. Drizzle melted chocolate overtop and cut into squares.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/lemon-shortbread-cookies-74844-2.html#post1392087!

Last edited:
For the shipping part, Use Pringle Chip Cans.
I have shipped overseas to nephews in the military and they told me they all arrive in great shape.
I have 3 grandson that will eat the pringles for me.
I have shipped all kinds from soft molasses to even peanut brittle without problems
I wish your friend well. you 're a good friend to think of here in this hard time for her.

You could make homemade chocolate chip cookies and put them in a vacuum-sealed bag. Just add extra chocolate chips!

Bless you for thinking of your friend. Everyone else has better ideas than mine, so I'm sure you'll find something that works for both of you.

Has she tried cannabis laced edibles? Smoking cannabis?
They are proven to make chemotherapy much easier and improve her all around health and well being.

Help with sleep.
Help with pain.
Help with appetite.
Help with her general well being.
Possibly help in eradicating the disease itself!

Since she is located in CA, this should be very easy to procure and to use legally.
I hope she gets better real soon. Real soon.
Do not dismiss the medical benefit of cannabis. If she is not using it, she should be.
It might even help with the disease itself.

Back
Top Bottom