"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
Yes, I can convert it for you but then I can't vouch for what you will get when you make the cookies. Volume measure is such a guessing game. The hardest thing to get correct when using volume is the flour. People measure flour in such different ways that it's very hard to get it accurate without a scale.
~snip~
1 pound + 4 ounces bread flour............................4-1/2 cups
~snip~
Guessing from the other conversions .. shouldn't this be
1 lb + 4 oz = 2 1/2 cups?

1 lb = 16z = 2 cups
4 oz = 1/2 cup

Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I would like to try this recipe, but I was wondering if I can still make it and if it would turn out okay without using an electic mixer or anything I do not have one, just my hands. I just didn't want to try it if me not having a mixer would be a problem.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't see why not , you would just have to mix it really well. i have made cookies by hand many times in the past. they are a bit of work but taste just great.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig0121 View Post
I would like to try this recipe, but I was wondering if I can still make it and if it would turn out okay without using an electic mixer or anything I do not have one, just my hands. I just didn't want to try it if me not having a mixer would be a problem.
An electric mixer is necessary to cream the butter and the sugar. It would be very hard to do a good job of that with just your hands. A hand held mixer would do the job and you can get one at Walmart for $10.00. There are many recipes when you are baking that need an mixer to cream butter and sugar. If you are planning to do much baking you will need it again.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I've often made cookies without using a mixer. Let the butter sit out about an hour before you start so it's soft. Then you'll be able to cream it adequately without struggling with hard butter.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookonline View Post
I've often made cookies without using a mixer. Let the butter sit out about an hour before you start so it's soft. Then you'll be able to cream it adequately without struggling with hard butter.
Well I guess your just way stronger than I am because every time I have ever tried it without a mixer it was a spectacular flop.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
At the very end of making them, I usually mix/fold the CCs & walnuts in by hand. Pour them in the bowl, smash it all down flat, dig my hand in on one side & fold it over, smash it flat & repeat about 8 times total.

I do this cause each time I try to mix that bit with the beaters or spiral dough beaters .. there's big clump areas of just dough & loads of CCs & nuts on the bottom of the bowl.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
At the very end of making them, I usually mix/fold the CCs & walnuts in by hand. Pour them in the bowl, smash it all down flat, dig my hand in on one side & fold it over, smash it flat & repeat about 8 times total.

I do this cause each time I try to mix that bit with the beaters or spiral dough beaters .. there's big clump areas of just dough & loads of CCs & nuts on the bottom of the bowl.
Ina Garten gave a tip to put the CCs and walnuts in a bowl with a little flour and toss, and sift, then add to the batter so that they don't clump together. Not that clumping would be a really bad thing.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

This sounds so good, I will have to try this soon
Thank You for sharing
Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

TNT: Cowboy cookies

When I was young, we didn't know what to call these. Because the cookies made with Wheaties were Ranger cookies, the first time I made these, my family called them "Cowboy Cookies."

1-1/2 c butter (always butter)
3/4 c brown sugar
1 c white sugar
2 beaten eggs
2-1/2 c white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp real vanilla
1 T milk
6 oz choc (white, dark, milk) (I always chop the chips with the nuts in the food processor)
2 c oatmeal
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/2-3/4 c nuts

1. Beat the butter using a handmixer until really pale (about 5 minutes)
2. Add the brown and white sugar. Beat another 5 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until lemon yellow. Add to the butter and sugar mix.
4. Beat for about 2 minutes and add the vanilla (I usually measure using the cap--so it is probably 1-1/2 tsp)
5. Dump the oatmeal in the food processor. Chop for about 1 minute.
6. Sift together the dry ingrediants. If you want a bite, add the cinnamon and cayenne.
7. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Blend for about a minute.
8. Stir in chips, nuts, and oatmeal.

Drop by tablespoon onto a cookie sheet covered with parchement paper. They don't spread a lot--but I usually bake 12 at a time. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Let cool on paper towels for 2 minutes. Transfer to rack to finish cooling.

I sometimes use an ounce of Baker's bitter chocolate and almonds. I chop those in the food processor. I usually add more than 6 oz. of chocolate, I'm guilty. I also sometimes use macadamian nuts and more white chocolate. I sometimes substitute 1/2 c peanut butter for 1/2 c of the butter. I love these cookies. I have made them for over 20 years and have yet to be disappointed. The trick is to really fluff the butter and to cool them on the paper towels. When you peek, the bottom of the cookie is golden, the top is firm enough that it doesn't "melt" when you test it. Sometimes it is 10 minutes, sometimes 8 sometimes 12--depends on the oven and the blend <g>. Best served warm with a tall glass of ice cold milk.

I dumped this recipe together when I was 14 and have "perfected" it as my chocolate cookie recipe <g>. I make these cookies at least twice a month. I have to freeze them (although, I do eat them frozen)--otherwise I'd eat the entire batch as they come out of the oven. The batch makes about 50-60 (I think--I'd have to figure out how many I eat before I put them in the freezer). It also depends on if you use a T or tsp to dump them on the cookie sheet. You can make them bigger <g>. I've used an ice cream scoop to make them sometimes...

This recipe always works for me. Be interested if others have problems with it.

Tags
None