Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was young, we didn't know what to call these. Because the cookies made with Wheaties were Ranger cookies, the first time I made these, my family called them "Cowboy Cookies."

I sometimes use an ounce of Baker's bitter chocolate and almonds. I chop those in the food processor. I usually add more than 6 oz. of chocolate, I'm guilty. I also sometimes use macadamian nuts and more white chocolate. I sometimes substitute 1/2 c peanut butter for 1/2 c of the butter. I love these cookies. I have made them for over 20 years and have yet to be disappointed. The trick is to really fluff the butter and to cool them on the paper towels. When you peek, the bottom of the cookie is golden, the top is firm enough that it doesn't "melt" when you test it. Sometimes it is 10 minutes, sometimes 8 sometimes 12--depends on the oven and the blend <g>. Best served warm with a tall glass of ice cold milk.

I dumped this recipe together when I was 14 and have "perfected" it as my chocolate cookie recipe <g>. I make these cookies at least twice a month. I have to freeze them (although, I do eat them frozen)--otherwise I'd eat the entire batch as they come out of the oven. The batch makes about 50-60 (I think--I'd have to figure out how many I eat before I put them in the freezer). It also depends on if you use a T or tsp to dump them on the cookie sheet. You can make them bigger <g>. I've used an ice cream scoop to make them sometimes...

This recipe always works for me. Be interested if others have problems with it.

I've have this recipe...we also call them Cowboy Cookies. They are good but I always found them a little dry. I haven't made them in years and haven't tried tweeking the recipe any. The taste is really good and this recipe would be well worth working with to get them a little moister.

I've have this recipe...we also call them Cowboy Cookies. They are good but I always found them a little dry. I haven't made them in years and haven't tried tweeking the recipe any. The taste is really good and this recipe would be well worth working with to get them a little moister.

Oh--I skipped a step. You take them out of the oven and leave them on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes, and then transfer them to paper towels (which, I have on a wooden bread board...don't know if that makes a difference or not <g>). My granny told me that's how you get moist and chewy cookies... (since I pulled the recipe from memory--hope I didn't forget something else). Mine are always moist and chewy...but, I do tend to use large eggs ... and I always chop the "chocolates" with the nuts...my favorite version is with raw almonds and bittersweet chocolate, dark chocolate with some butterscotch chips (which I never mesaure). A friend of mine swapped the milk for warm water and dissolved the baking soda in that. Her's always turned out moist. Another friend always used buttermilk and substituted the chips for raisins. My brothers are the ones who called them cowboy cookies...

Oh--I skipped a step. You take them out of the oven and leave them on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes, and then transfer them to paper towels (which, I have on a wooden bread board...don't know if that makes a difference or not <g>). My granny told me that's how you get moist and chewy cookies... (since I pulled the recipe from memory--hope I didn't forget something else). Mine are always moist and chewy...but, I do tend to use large eggs ... and I always chop the "chocolates" with the nuts...my favorite version is with raw almonds and bittersweet chocolate, dark chocolate with some butterscotch chips (which I never mesaure). A friend of mine swapped the milk for warm water and dissolved the baking soda in that. Her's always turned out moist. Another friend always used buttermilk and substituted the chips for raisins. My brothers are the ones who called them cowboy cookies...

This is the original recipe that I have from the 70's... It was one of those recipes that was passed around a lot at Tupperware parties. My mom used to have a lot of Tupperware parties. She couldn't afford to buy Tupperware but if she had a party she got free Tupperware for hosting.

Cowboy Cookies

Cream together…..
2 sticks of margarine...(I use butter)
1-1/2 brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

Stir together and stir into creamed mixture…..
2 cups flour
2 cups oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt

Stir into batter….
1 cup coconut
1 cup pecans
1-12 ounce package of chocolate chips

Drop by tablespoons full onto greased baking sheets and bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes.

This is the original recipe that I have from the 70's... It was one of those recipes that was passed around a lot at Tupperware parties. My mom used to have a lot of Tupperware parties. She couldn't afford to buy Tupperware but if she had a party she got free Tupperware for hosting.

I don't think my brothers went to Tupperware parties <g>. But that was during when they were into their playing "cowboys and indians" phase. Maybe they spied on a Tupperware party <g>.

I don't think my brothers went to Tupperware parties <g>. But that was during when they were into their playing "cowboys and indians" phase. Maybe they spied on a Tupperware party <g>.

LOL... Yeah, probably not. Actually I didn't go to them either, I just have a copy of all my mom's recipes and I know where they all came from. I have some recipes of her's that have been passed down for several generations in our family and several that are heirloom recipes from friends of my mom's.

Great Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe...now I'm thinking about hoping in the kitchen on this rainy day!

[FONT=georgia,palatino]Ingredients:[/FONT][FONT=georgia,palatino]
2 1/4 sticks(8.8oz) - Unsalted Butter
3/4 cups(6.5 oz) - Sugar
3/4 cup(6.5 oz) - Brown Sugar(compacted)
---------------------------------
2 - Large Eggs
1 tsp - Vanilla Extract
2 1/2 cups(13.5oz) - All Purpose Flour
1 tsp - Baking Soda
1 tsp - Salt
12 oz - Semisweet Chocolate Chips
[/FONT][FONT=georgia,palatino]

Instructions:
1) With a mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
2) Add the eggs one at a time to the butter/sugar mixture and then add vanilla.
3) Mix together the flour/baking soda/salt with a whisk and then add to the butter/sugar/egg/vanilla mixture in 3 stages until fully incorporated.
4) Lastly, add the 12 oz of semisweet chocolate chips.
-Makes a dozen large cookies.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes
[/FONT]​

whoa! one pound of brown sugar .. 2 tablespoons of vanilla .. dang :ohmy: those have to be super moist & chewy

I've been trying to perfect my chewy type CCC (I guess they're more airy/puffy than chewy).. and I really liked this last batch:

225g Sugar
200g Brown Sugar
8oz/1 cup of Butter
2 Eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon white vinegar

500g flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
150g chopped walnuts
12oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375ºF

Place sugar, brown sugar, margarine, eggs, vanilla and vinegar in large bowl. Beat for 1 to 1 ½ minutes, or until smooth.

Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat until blended. Add chocolate chips and walnuts, beat until combined.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper'ed baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375ºF for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from baking sheets immediately and cool on wire racks.

-----

The extra flour gives them more structure, and the white vinegar helps the baking soda to give them more puffiness.

I think next batch I am going to add a little more brown sugar & and egg yoke or two, to get them a bit more moist.

Back
Top Bottom