Chewy Sugar Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steph99

Assistant Cook
I would love a recipe for a good chewy sugar cookie...I can never seem to find just what I am looking for. Anyone?

I forget which way it goes, but I think recipes with either a higher amount of sugar or a higher amount of fat make cookies chewier. I'm tempted to say more sugar makes chewier cookies, while more fat makes crisper cookies.

And I would be tempted to agree with you College Cook but that is based on your statement not on my experience as I don't make biscuits very often.

There are a couple of variables, fat and fat. Working the dough will work the gluten as well.

Check this out:
Robbie's Recipes: Soft & Chewy Sugar Cookies

Butter will make things "short" and flaky. When you see "mix well", to the best of my knowledge, this means conjuring up the gluten in the flour.

More butter more better, and mix a bit longer, that's my $.02.

Here's one of the many recipes that turns up when 'chewy snickerdoodles' is googled.

Recipe courtesy of Recipezaar http://www.recipezaar.com/113751

1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 2/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar (to roll cookies in)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (to roll cookies in)

Preheat oven to 400.
Mix shortening, sugar, and eggs.
Sift dry ingredients, stir into first mixture.
Roll into balls the size of walnuts, and roll in mixture of 1 Tbl sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
Bake 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet 8-10 minutes.

I've been making my Grandma's killer sugar cookie for twenty five years. I roll them somewhat thick, they are crispy on the outside and cakey on the inside. I'm always getting requests for the recipe. Let me know if your interested.

My snickerdoodle recipe turns out some pretty soft/chewy cookies. I think the reason they're so soft is that the dough includes 3t of milk. Not sure about what makes them chewy though. Let me know if you want the recipe!

Aunt Velma's soft and puffy sugar cookies

Here's an old family recipe that I think you'll enjoy:

Soft and Puffy Sugar Cookies

By: Aunt Velma

1 cup Shortening
1 cup Sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
8 teaspoon milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups plus flour

Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Mix in dry ingredients. Roll out to 1/2" thickness on a flowered board. Cut in large circles, sprinkle with sugar and bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet in preheated 325 degree oven till just barely golden.

I would agree with snickerdoodles. If you like a sugar cookie that is chewy make snickerdoodles. I use the betty crocker cookbook recipe and it's literally fool proof. Very easy to make.

I make cinnamon sugar and add some food color to it so the cookies have a tint of color to them and look rather festive.

Also the thing that makes cookies chewy is the type of fat you use. Cookies baked using shortening will be chewy and will keep their shapes better than those using butter.

Given shortening is not the healthiest (unless you use the non transfat variety) you are better off using butter. If you use butter and still want to get an end result that is chewy and has not completely spread out and turned flat you will need to chill that dough/batter before baking. This results butter to melt slowly while baking (since butter is colder) and cookies not to spread too much and stay chewier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom