"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Old 11-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
Master Chef
Aunt Velma's soft and puffy sugar cookies

Here's an old family recipe that I think you'll enjoy:

Soft and Puffy Sugar Cookies

By: Aunt Velma

1 cup Shortening
1 cup Sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
8 teaspoon milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups plus flour

Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Mix in dry ingredients. Roll out to 1/2" thickness on a flowered board. Cut in large circles, sprinkle with sugar and bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet in preheated 325 degree oven till just barely golden.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #12
Head Chef
I would agree with snickerdoodles. If you like a sugar cookie that is chewy make snickerdoodles. I use the betty crocker cookbook recipe and it's literally fool proof. Very easy to make.

I make cinnamon sugar and add some food color to it so the cookies have a tint of color to them and look rather festive.

Also the thing that makes cookies chewy is the type of fat you use. Cookies baked using shortening will be chewy and will keep their shapes better than those using butter.

Given shortening is not the healthiest (unless you use the non transfat variety) you are better off using butter. If you use butter and still want to get an end result that is chewy and has not completely spread out and turned flat you will need to chill that dough/batter before baking. This results butter to melt slowly while baking (since butter is colder) and cookies not to spread too much and stay chewier.

Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote