"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 08-28-2005, 07:23 PM   #11
Cook

Question salted or unslated

I love oatmeal but hubby doesn't. He doesn't like much of anything though. lol But You know I did come across that cookie recipe and I copied it, with the oatmeal in a powder form he won't know it's in there. Next time I'll get some reg butter before making anything. Should I use salted or unsalted though?
thanks so much!

Old 08-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #12
Everymom

I don't worry about salted or unsalted in my baking. It only matters in a select few recipes really. And the oatmeal being pulverized does make a difference. Great way to up the fiber for those folks who don't like it usually! Trust me, that is a WONDERFUL recipe. A true crowd pleaser.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:33 PM   #13
Cook

I'll be sure to try it

I guess I'll go with unsalted then, I'm sure we can do without it and who can't use some good fiber.

I will try that recipe some time soon, need to get to the store first........ I know I'll like it, just hope hubby will too, otherwise I'll have to eat them all myself.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:53 PM   #14
Master Chef

Alton Brown just covered this on Good Eats (Food Network channel) in the episode, "Three Chips for Sister Marsha". By altering the fats, flour, sugars, eggs and milk, etc. you can take a basic recipe and get thin and crisp, puffy and cake-like, or chewy.

Here is a link to his recipes.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #15
Cook

This is just what I needed. TYSM
Old 08-28-2005, 09:48 PM   #16
Executive Chef

In response to your question about measuring quantities:

There is no "best" answer, short of weighing the flour, sugar, etc. The reason for this, is that every person "measures" dry ingredients by volume slightly differently. An example my baking instructor in college used was, take five different people, ask them to measure 1 c of flour, then weigh each person's flour. You'll get five different weights. Ask the same five people to weigh out one pound of flour, and you get five different batches of flour, weighing one pound each.

The next best suggestion, is to use a set of measuring cups (the 1 c, 1/2 c, 1/3 c, 1/4 c type), fill it to heaping, then scrape off the excess with a flat edge, such as the back of a knife.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:21 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Wannabake:

Here's a link to Alton Brown's three ways to make choc. Chip Cookies. He tells you how to make them chewy, puffy or flat.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._17114,00.html
Old 08-28-2005, 10:38 PM   #18
Sous Chef

AllenMI gives a good tip for measuring dry goods such as flours and the like.

Additionally you should not pack down ingredients such as flour. The only time you pack down ingredients when measuring them is when the recipe calls for it, such as a recipe using brown sugar (it might specify lightly packed, firmly packed, or may not say anything in which case do not pack it down).
Old 08-28-2005, 11:55 PM   #19
Cook

Hey thanks for the advice. You know I never was sure where to fill to on those cups. The ones I have now have a lip on them, like for pouring, so I wondered if I was to fill just below that or all the way. Thats why I didn't use them at all last time and the cookies were much better. Is it true about using the big measuring cup for liquids and the little premeasured cups for dry or does it not make a difference?
Thanks again, I can use all the help I can get. lol
Old 08-28-2005, 11:56 PM   #20
Cook

Thank you very much

Tags
None