Chocolate 'blinis' w/raspberry 'cavier'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
TNT - and these are just great for a party - can be done ahead, and just assembled at the last minute.

From Alice Medrich, who I think is the queen of chocolate!

CHOCOLATE BLINIS WITH BERRY CAVIAR

makes 18-20 3-inch pancakes

¾ cup flour
2T granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
8T butter
¼ cup Dutch cocoa
½ cupmilk
¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ tsp. instant coffee powder
1 egg
½ tsp. vanilla
butter for the skillet

crème fraiche or lightly sweetened whipped cream
Fresh raspberries, slightly crushed to resemble caviar

In medium bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in the cocoa til smooth and hot; gradually stir in the milk and heat to lukewarm. Off heat, whisk in the brown sugar, coffee powder, egg and vanilla, stirring til the mixture is completely smooth. Pour the contents of the saucepan over the flour mixture and stir til the dry ingredients are completely incorporated.

Heat the skillet over low heat til hot and coat the pan with butter; pour 3 inch pancakes and cook on low heat til bubbles form around the edges; flip the cakes and cook til lightly colored on the bottom, and cooked through the center. Keep warm to serve; place a dollop of crème fraiche in center of pancake, and garnish with crushed raspberry. –

- Alice medrich

Last edited:
Oh Marmalady, you have the BEST stuff! I am really sorry that Tanis doesn't have a computer anymore because this would be PERFECT for her wedding dessert table. I am copying it. Maybe I will snail mail it to her. Thanks, this one looks fabulous. I can hardly wait for my raspberries now!

Back
Top Bottom