Chocolate-Caramel Thumbprint cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef

CHOCOLATE-CARAMEL THUMBPRINT COOKIES

1/2 cup butter

2/3 cup sugar

1 egg, separated

2 tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup all purpose flour

1/3 cup baking cocoa

1/4 teaspoon salt

20 caramels, unwrapped + 2 tablespoons cream

4 ounces white chocolate + raspberry extract (NOTE: Only use extract made for flavoring chocolate, or the melted chocolate will seize!!)

PREPARATION:
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg yolk, milk and vanilla until light and fluffy.

Combine flour, cocoa and salt in a separate bowl; gradually add to creamed mixture, stirring until well blended. Cover and chill cookie dough for one hour, or until firm enough to shape into balls.

In a small bowl, lightly beat egg white. Shape chilled dough into 1-inch balls, dip in egg white. . Make an indentation with thumb in center of of each cookie. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes, or until center is just set.

While cookies are baking, melt caramel and cream in a heav pot over low heat, stirring constantly til smooth.

When cookies are done, place on a wire rack with paper towels or parchment underneath. With a teaspoon, fill each indentation in the cookies with the melted caramel, and let sit til cookies are cooled completely and caramel has 'set'.

Melt white chocolate, add extract, and either drizzle or place in a ziplock and cut a teeny hole in a corner to use as a pastry bag for drizzling.

These were my #1 Christmas cookie this pas year!

I can see why! I have to put caramels on my shopping list. My hubby will go mental for these.

marmalady, where would I find the special extract for these? They sound wonderful.

Spice1133 said:
marmalady, where would I find the special extract for these? They sound wonderful.

Spice, I'd start by checking your craft stores if they have a candy making section. I know the Michael's and AC Moore stores around here have the Wilton chocolates and flavorings. You could also try a cake decorating or restaurant supply store.

hI, Spice - The King Arthur folks online have a wonderful raspberry extract I've used with chocolate.

I hope you all enjoy them - let me know!

The recipe sounds wonderful, but I have a question. Could something be substituted for the cream in the caramels? I normally don't keep cream in the fridge and it is a small amount.

You could try a little evaporated milk; I've seen that used with caramels in other recipes.

Or---we could convince you to keep a little cream in the fridge!:cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom