"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 11-25-2005, 04:27 PM   #11
Everymom

Yes, butter flavoured crisco will certainly make for a softer cookie. If you are new to this I would recommend either the Crisco or margarine until you have sort of got this under control. You got some great ideas from the folks here. Keep us posted on how your experiments turn out1

Old 11-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #12
cartwheelmac

With the cooling rack the bottoms of the cookies will get aired out and not be wet and/or sticky.

Grace
Old 11-25-2005, 07:26 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

thanks everyone w/ all the suggestions!

ok now i hv a few more questions...

1. would the type of baking sheet used make a difference? if i use the dark metal kind of baking sheet, shd i cut the temp or time? and.. since im too lazy to wash the pan, is it okay if i cover the pan w/ a piece of foil? would that make any difference?

2. is there a particular order when mixing things?! like.. sugar & butter first (what does it mean when they say "mix until creamy/fluffy"?). n then the dry ingredients like flour, salt, baking powder. what about eggs n extracts? is there like.. a order that people usually follow?! maybe the reason why my cookies didnt taste as good is because i dumped EVERYTHING all together at once.. =( if i'm using a KitchenAid mixer, what speed should i do these things that?!

thanks all!
Old 11-25-2005, 08:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef

You always want to "cream" the fat (butter/margarine/shortening) and the sugar(s) first. This works to not only mix the fat and sugar completely, but to add air to the mix as well. You will know it's getting ready as it will be light in color, and kind of fluffy.

Then, you add the eggs, one at a time. This gives the mixer time to fully incorporate the eggs into the mix.

After that usually follows any liquid flavoring, like vanilla, orange extract, etc.

Your dry ingredients, i.e. flour, leavening, chocolate powder, etc., are sifted together, then added to the mix, slowly, in parts.

Finally, you stir in candies or nuts. Depending on the dough, you may want to chill it before making your cookies (I usually do).
Old 11-25-2005, 11:12 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

thanks AllenMI!!
Old 11-26-2005, 01:19 PM   #16
cartwheelmac

Thumbs up Stoneware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirokei
1. would the type of baking sheet used make a difference? if i use the dark metal kind of baking sheet, shd i cut the temp or time? and.. since im too lazy to wash the pan, is it okay if i cover the pan w/ a piece of foil? would that make any difference?
We find if you use a metal pan put a stone on the bottom rack it makes a difference, or just use a baking stone.

Cameron
Old 11-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

baking stone? lol sorry.. iono what that is

Tags
None