Chocolate chip cookies...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ready2learn

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum, and am having much trouble in finding the right chocolate chip cookie recipe.

I would like a chocolate chip cookie that is not cake-like, not crunchy, but soft, dense, and chewy. How do I do it?

I've tried plenty of recipes but none come out how I want. Does anyone have any tried-and-true recipes to share?

Also, I tried a batch today which used corn syrup to make it chewy....but it wasn't chewy:rolleyes: It turned out like a chocolate chip biscuit! I can't figure out why, 'cause I thought I followed the recipe exactly. Anybody have any thoughts of what I did wrong?

Thanks a bunch,
Michelle

I've always just used the recipe on the back of the Nestle Chocolate Chips, but I substituted Crisco Butter Flavored Shortening for the butter. Other then that, I follow the recipe on the package. I don't really like crispy cookies either, and this works for me. :chef:

My mention of Nestle and Crisco products is not in support or advertisement for those products. Those are the products I use. There are other manufacturers that produce identical products that would accomplish the same desires.

For years, I've used the recipe that comes on the back of the butter flavored Crisco sticks - it makes a wonderful soft chewy cookie.

Hi Michelle and welcome to DC. I have found that if you either completely melt your butter or partially melt it, prior to adding the sugar, you will have a chewier, denser cookie.

I don't have time to search out recipes at the moment, but will come back later with some more help if you need it. I would suggest you use the Search function on the top right of the blue task bar. Go to advanced search and look for chewy and chocolate chip cookie, that should help. Also search out the Neiman Marcus cookie recipe. It is killer good.

I have found if you refrigerate the dough for a while before baking, when using butter flavored Crisco instead of butter, the cookie won't spread out to thin while cooking

I hate cake like cookies and I always had this problem, no matter what recipe I would use. I found this one and they are absolutely delicious!! I always cook them a minute or two under because I like them gooey.

3/4 crisco shortening {Do not use butter or margarine}
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 3/4 all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375
Combine Crisco, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl until well blended.
Beat egg into mixture.
Combine in seperate bowl, flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into the creamed mixture.
Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes {I bake mine for about 7 minutes}

Last edited:
The recipe on the package has never worked for me. The cookies come out greasy. Our DD revised a Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie recipe that I still use. She was our cookie maker when she was at home.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Now all I have to do is find a good excuse to make up a batch! :-p

Here is the recipe I use. I had to make a batch of these when I got home from work after reading and thinking about this thread today!!

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 C Butter Flavor Crisco
1 1/4 C firmly packed light brown sugar
2 T milk
1 T vanilla
1 egg
1 3/4 C flour
1 t salt
3/4 t baking soda
1 C chocolate chips
1 C pecan pieces (optional)

Preheat oven to 375. Combine crisco, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl (I use my stand mixer). Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the egg and blend well. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl. Add to the creamed mixture until just blended. Add the chips and nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. DO not overbake. Remove from oven, cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing from the pan.
Makes 3 dozen 3" cookies.

NOTE - sometimes I add 1 cup of butterscotch chips to the batter in addition to the chocolate chips, its a nice combo.

texasgirl said:
I hate cake like cookies and I always had this problem, no matter what recipe I would use. I found this one and they are absolutely delicious!! I always cook them a minute or two under because I like them gooey.

3/4 crisco shortening {Do not use butter or margarine}
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 3/4 all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375
Combine Crisco, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl until well blended.
Beat egg into mixture.
Combine in seperate bowl, flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into the creamed mixture.
Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes {I bake mine for about 7 minutes}
Texas,
do you like the big, thin, rather crispy chocolate chip cookies? I love them and in fact sometimes make the dough and leave out the chocolate chips..I love that buttery flavor of them..I like the look of your recipe, maybe Cade and I will give it a try next week..I always melt my butter and I always put the dough on a warm cookie sheet that I've greased, even tho the recipe says not to..I love BIG cookies:LOL:
kadesma

kadesma said:
Texas,
do you like the big, thin, rather crispy chocolate chip cookies? I love them and in fact sometimes make the dough and leave out the chocolate chips..I love that buttery flavor of them..I like the look of your recipe, maybe Cade and I will give it a try next week..I always melt my butter and I always put the dough on a warm cookie sheet that I've greased, even tho the recipe says not to..I love BIG cookies:LOL:
kadesma

I like them like that, but, I love them when they are just almost dough:LOL:
I eat cookie dough all the time.:angel:

texasgirl said:
I like them like that, but, I love them when they are just almost dough:LOL:
I eat cookie dough all the time.:angel:
well then you Cade and his mommie would have a ball when we make cookies, a bowl of dough for the three of you to munch and the 2nd. bowl for baking:ROFLMAO: Wanna come play?

kadesma

kadesma said:
well then you Cade and his mommie would have a ball when we make cookies, a bowl of dough for the three of you to munch and the 2nd. bowl for baking:ROFLMAO: Wanna come play?

kadesma

Heck yea!!!:LOL:

I found the treasure!

Yes, it was treasure indeed. :chef:

I read all the posts about cookies and last night made up a batch. I took the advice to melt the butter, in hope of a chewy cookie. They were the best! My family literally could not stop eating them. The first plate was gone in a about five minutes.

I also had read in a book that for dense, tender cookies, you should mix by hand rather than mixer, to prevent overmixing and letting alot of air in. It must have worked!

I used a recipe from my favorite cook, Alton Brown, on Food Network.
Here is the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_13617,00.html

I use honey instead of sugar and that makes a very soft chewy cookie. Honey is sweeter than sugar so I use however much honey as the recipe calls for brown sugar and no white sugar.

You might try this

I posted this for Debbie and didn't see this thread. Here ya go.
Cream together: 2 c butter, 2 c sugar, 2 c brown sugar. Add: 4 eggs, 2 tsp. vanilla. Mix together: 4 c flour, 5 c oatmeal ( put small amounts into blender until it turns to powder.) 1 tsp. salt , 2 tsp. baking powder, 2 tsp. baking soda. Mix together all ingredients and add 24 oz. bag of chocolate chips, one 8 oz. Hershey bar grated, ( can be done in processor ) and 3 c chopped nuts. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets. Make golf-ball sized cookies, 2 inches apart, and bake at 375 degrees for 6 minutes. Makes 112 cookies.

This is either the Neiman Marcus recipe or the Mrs. Fields recipe. I think the folklore is bogus, but this recipe is fantastic.

Ready2Learn, I am glad you found help and got some yummy cookies out of the deal. Thanks for posting and letting us know what you did that worked. Now...if only we could figure out a way to share those cookies online we'd be all set!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom