"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 05-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
Head Chef

I found a bag of chocolate chips in the pantry a few nights ago. Well, you got me in the mood to make cookies. It will be 1/4 extra flour since I did not find any nuts. Now that I'm in the cookie mood, there will be an assortment. Did I hear anyone say Snicker-doodle?

Old 05-25-2007, 01:39 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup nuts/coconut OR 1/4 extra flour

You know the drill, cream the butter/sugar, add wet, then dry. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
I made this recipe tonight and they are the best cookies that I have ever baked. The cookie dough is much easier to work with and the chocolate chips incorporated evenly throughout the dough.

Good Cookies in the Spring Time! Priceless!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
I made this recipe tonight and they are the best cookies that I have ever baked. The cookie dough is much easier to work with and the chocolate chips incorporated evenly throughout the dough.

Good Cookies in the Spring Time! Priceless!!!
well now you got me wishing that i had picked up that bag of choco chips that i saw at shoppers tonight!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:49 AM   #14
Head Chef

The cookie dough is the type that you can use for Rocky Road or Monster Cookies...the possibilities are endless. I will make Chocolate Chips most often.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsills
I some simple questions. I was making cc cookies last night with a very similar recipe to the ones above. The two above differ in terms of cornstarch vs. milk. Why the differences. Also, a really dumb question. The bottoms started to brown before the upper parts were completely done. Does that mean my oven was too hot? I had it set at 370 not the 350 specified above. Thanks, m
I just made some cc cookies from Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for More Food" book. I'm not quite the baker yet but I wanted to experiment a little bit.

The ingredients are basic.

Dry:
2 1/4 cups AP flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt (I used kosher)

Wet:
3/4 cups Sugar (I used natural cane sugar)
3/4 cups Brown Sugar
1 cup unsalted butter (I actually used 1/2 salted butter and 1/2 cup unflavored crisco)
2 egg yolks (fresh from my friend's organic farm!!!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Extras:
2 cups Semi Sweet Morsels

As mentioned before Cream wet ingredients, add the dry.....

yeilds 3 dozen 1 oz cookies

I like a good contrast between sweet and salty so that's why I didn't omit the salt when using salted butter which would be the standard MO.

I also used what's known as Oven Spring. I started the oven at 400 degrees for the first few minutes and brought it down to 375 for the rest of the cooking time about 15 minutes all together.

Here is where the experimentation came in (kind of inadvertantly). I used a pretty thick heavy duty cookie sheet, and thinner cheaper cookie sheet, and then for the third dozen I forgot to bring the temp down from 400 degrees.

The bottoms of the cookies made on the the thin sheet where very dark brown...burnt but edible. The cookies baked at 400 degrees for 15 minutes...forget about it...unedible. The ones baked on the heavy duty cookie sheet came out perfect. Not over cooked on the bottom at all, and they were on the bottom rack!!! They are really good!!! Think Chips Ahoy in terms of texture as opposed to Softbatch, but way better than any store bought CC Cookie

It seems to me that the using a high quality denser cookie sheet will keep those bottoms from burning. I'll be heading out to my local restaurant supplier to pick up some "half sheets". They are the size of most "civilian" models where as the full sheets in the restaurant industry are pretty large, like a hotel pan. They are made out of aluminum and are really heavy duty, and don't warp in the oven like some of the cheap models.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
What does the cornstarch do in this recipe Alix?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryRed
I heard putting parchment paper down before you put the cookies on the sheet stops them from browning too fast. Does that actually work? I have yet to try it.
Hi Cherry, Sorry, I just found this thread so maybe this is too late. I always had this problem until I bought a Silpat and now my cookies are perfectly browned. Silpat is a flexible silicone coated baking mat made in France and available in several sizes. You lay it on your cookie sheet. It is like permanent parchment paper. A mat is good for about 3000 uses and you can buy them at a restaurant supply, Amazon, ebay, or any kitchen type store. There are other brands which I assume are as good. You can get a half-sheet size Silpat for about $15 if you look around and I think they are worth every penny. Nothing sticks to these mats and all of your baked goods will bake and brown more evenly. I keep mine rolled up in a cardboard paper towel tube. HTH
Terry
Old 08-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
Everymom

Dina, I'm not 100% on this, but I think it keeps the cookies a bit "poofier".
Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Is there anything you can use instead of corn starch or leave it out at all? Haven't seen that at the shops don't think, might have a more indepth look when i go next. thx :)
Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Rom, you won't have trouble finding it. It's in with the baking powder, baking soda stuff.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None