"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 03-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I use Brand: Chatfield Carob Powder. Not Sweet

Old 03-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post
The OP is asking about cocoa powder not a substitute.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
Head Chef

If it's an old cookbook (and I do have a very old, 20+ years, Hershey's book, probably closer to 30 or 40 as it was my mom's) it is the original regular cocoa powder. I don't think they made more than 1 kind back then, at least not anything available nationwide for regular consumers.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
If they just called out cocoa, they are referring to natural unsweetened, not special dark.

Special dark is a blend of regular natural and Dutch process, therefore the acidity level is different. When you change the acidity you have to adjust the other ingredients in order for the leaveners to achieve the best rise. The difference won't be huge, but it will be less than perfect if you don't balance e the other ingredients.
+1
Dutched Process means that the cocoa has the acid removed by combining, or washing the cocoa with an alkali solution to neutralize the acids found in cocoa. Those acids, as mentioned by Silversage, will react with the other ingredients. Typically, if the recipe calls for baking powder, then you will be using the Dutched cocoa as the acid and alkalies needed for leavening are both contained in baking powder. If the recipe calls for baking soda, it is relying on acids from the cocoa powder and other ingredients to create the lift for making the cookies rise.

Your recipe should tell you which kind of cocoa powder you need.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post
And it's not cocoa powder, so it can't compete with the flavor of cocoa.

My preference for cocoa powder is Ghirardelli, but that is just a personal choice. I've used Hershey's both regular and extra dark, but I like the flavor of Ghirardelli best.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:25 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

cacao

Hi i don't thinh they are a difference
Old 07-04-2016, 07:28 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliedu13 View Post
Hi i don't thinh they are a difference
Are you saying that one brand of cocoa powder isn't different than another or that there isn't a difference between chocolate and carob? If the latter, there is a huge difference as they come from different plants/trees.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Craig, you are responding to someone who claims to be from Marseille, whose English is obviously not fluent, and who has been hitting old posts with "so good", "yummy", "my favorite", etc. I think they are just here practicing their English.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Craig, you are responding to someone who claims to be from Marseille, whose English is obviously not fluent, and who has been hitting old posts with "so good", "yummy", "my favorite", etc. I think they are just here practicing their English.
I realize that and have been trying to engage them. In another post they responded to in the "sauce for green bean thread", I asked about their favorite preparation. I've seen all the one liners.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
If it's an old cookbook (and I do have a very old, 20+ years, Hershey's book, probably closer to 30 or 40 as it was my mom's) it is the original regular cocoa powder. I don't think they made more than 1 kind back then, at least not anything available nationwide for regular consumers.
I think I have the same cookbook. I sent for it when I was a new bride. It was free. I sent for "free" anything at the time. At that time, there was only one kind of cocoa made by Hershey. Unsweetened Cocoa. And that is what all their recipes were based on.

Tags
cocoa