Coconut Flakes vs. Shredded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMGgal

Senior Cook
If you guys could answer this question for me, I would be so grateful. I have a daughter-in-law that can't do gluten, so I'm always casting about for some goodies for her that I can bake. I found a recipe for macaroons, and the recipe calls for "coconut flakes." Well, the flakes I bought look kind of big. Also, the recipe doesn't say if I should use sweetened or unsweetened. The recipe uses sweetened condensed milk, almond extract, and drizzled with chocolate. Will unsweetened work? It seems like most recipes I've looked at ask for sweetened shredded. What do think? I've already had one of my cookie recipes bomb yesterday, so I'm not up for a repeat:huh:

With the condensed milk in there and not a lot to balance the sweetness of that, I'd go with the unsweetened.
Thanks, Russ, that was my thinking too, then I looked at so many recipes with sweetened and I didn't trust my own instincts. I don't like really really sweet stuff. I'd love to check in with my son-in-law, but he is at work 18 hours a day right now even my daughter can't reach him very easily.

Back
Top Bottom