"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-08-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
Head Chef

Cookie Ban Lifted...

I honestly thought I could go through the whole season and not make a single cookie. This is what I was trying to do this year, put a focus on muffins, scones & quick breads.

I don't think I can do it!!! My fingers are ITCHING to make some cookies. I bought all sorts of wonderful things last time at the grocery store w/o any thought to what I would do with them: chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, Heath pieces (yummy), peanut butter sticks (BTW, I never knew this stuff came in cubes that I could cut out, man, that's great)...anyways...the cookies defeated me and won out. :P

Old 12-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #2
Everymom

LOL htc! Cookies are an integral celebratory tool! Break out the eggnog and get baking!

Old 12-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Don't resist - make my eggnog snickerdoodles. They're healthy - last time I checked, eggog, butter, and brandy were all on my list of health foods. :)

Eggnog Snickerdoodles
2 1/2 c AP Flour
1 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Cinnamon, ground
1/2 ts Nutmeg, fresh ground
1 1/4 c Sugar
3/4 c Butter, softened
1/2 c Eggnog
2 ts Brandy extract (can also use vanilla extract)
2 Egg yolks
Cinnamon Sugar (1/4 c sugar blended with 1 tb cinnamon)

Preheat oven to 300F
1.In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well and set aside.
2.In a large bowl cream sugar and butter until creamy. Add eggnog, brandy extract (or vanilla) and egg yolks and beat at medium speed until smooth.
3.Add the flour mixture and beat at low speed just until combined. Do not overmix.
4.Roll rounded spoonfuls of mixture into balls and then roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Pleace rolled and sugared balls onto ungreased baking sheets, 1 inch apart. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until just golden around the edges. DO NOT OVERBAKE! Cool on a wire rack.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
Head Chef

I'm definitely going to have to try that recipe Kansas, thanks!

So I made peanut butter cookies...I snatched a recipe from foodtv, the calorie commando guy...the cookie got good reviews...i thought they were just ok. didn't have the texture I was looking for. The cookie is supposed to be a healthier cookie. I guess on a good note, my son loved them.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
cartwheelmac

What is AP flour?

Cameron
Old 11-22-2005, 10:59 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartwheelmac
What is AP flour?

Cameron

Cameron:

AP stands for All-Purpose. It's a middle of the road flour based in protein content and useful in a wide range of applications.

Cake flour is lower in protein and should be used to make cakes lighter and fluffier.

Bread flour is very high in protein and is used to make breads that have a stronger texture - that is, more chewy.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:03 PM   #7
cartwheelmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Cameron:

AP stands for All-Purpose. It's a middle of the road flour based in protein content and useful in a wide range of applications.

Cake flour is lower in protein and should be used to make cakes lighter and fluffier.

Bread flour is very high in protein and is used to make breads that have a stronger texture - that is, more chewy.
doh! I should have known that. I know the difference between all-purpose, bread, and cake flour but it didn't occur to me that it was all-purpose. Thanks for you help though Andy M.

Cameron
Old 11-22-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Glad to help. We all have moments of mental napping.

Tags
None