Cookie flavors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debthecook

Senior Cook
Which extracts have you found taste good in cookies, basic sugar cookie mix. I have used:
Vanilla
Almond
Cherry
Lemon
Rum

Any other extracts you could recommend that make cookies TASTE GOOD? Thanks.

Rather than extract, what about adding orange or lemon zest? Lime might even be interesting (I've never tried this one myself).

In terms of extract, you could do maple. How about adding some cocoa powder to your dough and using mint extract?

Haggis said:
Coconut essence, or even shredded coconut.

Mmmmm coconut macaroons...*drool*.

Oooh! She could make her sugar cookie with about 1/2 to 1 tsp of coconut extract in it and then drizzle the baked cookies with chocolate and dust with coconut. Now I'm drooling too!

Maple extract is a must in our house at Christmas. I have peppermint extract that I use as well. Nothing else jumps out at me. I use all the same ones you do.

Lime zest with tequila make great sugar cookies. Orange zest and candied ginger is a good combo. Maple is ALWAYS one of my favorites. You might also try rosewater with fresh rose petals - a very light and delicate taste, as well as pretty on a platter. I am thinking of the coconut idea - you could do rosewater cookies, drizzled with chocolate and dusted with coconut - YUM!

Rose Water Sugar Cookies
1 c Unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 c Sugar
2 Eggs
4 1/2 c AP flour, sifted
1 ts Baking powder
1 ts Baking soda
1 ts Salt
1 c Sour cream
1 tb Rose water
2 tb Rose petals, chopped (pesticide free)
Sugar for garnish

Preheat oven to 375F
1.In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy, scraping sides of bowl often.
2.Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3.Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture, alternately with sour cream and rose water, beating at low speed until blended. Gently fold in rose petals.
4.Divide dough in thirds and wrap each piece in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
5.On well floured surface, roll 1/3 of the chilled dough at a time 1/4 inch, thick (dough will be soft and sticky). Cut in shapes with floured cookie cutters.
6.Arrange cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Sprinkle lightly with additional sugar.
7.Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned at edges. Cool on a rack.

THANK YOU!!! Today I'm going to NY Cake and Baking Supplies on 22nd Street in NYC (Chez Suz, its a great place) to pick up some flavors. I'll get back to you. I just came back from having a root canal, sort of like having a manicure, I was so relaxed.

Back
Top Bottom