"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Cookie Press Recipes

Mrs 40 C and I are planning to make up cookie tins as gifts this year. Planning for 2 dozen cookies per tin, and 15 tins total.

Mrs 40 C has a nifty cookie press from Williams-Sonoma that she wants to use. We have a basic recipe for the cookies but would like some ideas to change up the flavors in each box.

What are your favorite flavors DC?

Cookie Press Cookies
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Williams-Sonoma

Ingredients:

16 tablespoons unsalted butter, 2 sticks
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
colored sugars , decorations

Directions:

1. Have all ingredients at room temperature

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat together the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

3. Add the egg, vanilla, and salt and continue beating until well mixed, about 1 minute.

4. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour and beat until just blended, about 1 minute, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Master Chef

I've used maple extract, almond extract, butter rum extract, black walnut extract. The almond and butter rum were our favorites. The maple is good the black walnut was okay. I usually make a bunch of these at Christmas and go heavy on the color. They are so pretty. My kids called them playdoh cookies! Each color had it's own flavor too.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Lemon is alway a favorite flavor. You can buy Lemon Extract and also add lemon zest finely grated. Orange is another favorite. Same advice. If you choose to add nuts, grind them finely as they won't go through the press with ease. If you grate them fine enough to resemble lumpy flour, you can replace some of the flour with the nut flour. Use your FP for pulverizing them. Just let folks know that you have nuts in them. You don't want anyone to have an allergy reaction. And pack the nut ones separately. Use a piece of parchement paper to separate the layers.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Head Chef

I make wreath shape and star shape spritz cookies. I think they taste the Best.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

I tried a chocolate recipe last year but was not too happy with it. The dough was difficult to press and it didn't have a nice chocolate taste at all. I did get a great gluten free recipe last year for TB, but they contain egg and neither of us can have that any more.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Peppermint, anise

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Cardamon, orange extract, rum, brandy, almond extract, ground blanched almonds/pecans/hazel nuts mixed with the flour (put the nuts through a coffee grinder to make nut flour). Not all of the above at once, but added to the butter when you are creaming the butter and sugar. Some freshly ground black pepper added to a dough that has some molasses subbed for the butter. Powdered sugar and a bit of corn starch subbed for some of the sugar and flour works well too. And, I chill my cookie press in the fridge for about 1/2 hour, spray the disk with a bit of non-stick spray.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Thanks for the responses. Got some great ideas to work with.

We found some small square cookie tins at World Market for $3.99 and bought all they had along with some printed parchment paper to line the boxes. I'll try to remember to update the thread as we move forward with the project.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Everymom

I'm not sure if you are looking for other recipes but I use this one in my cookie press every year.

2 cups butter
1 cup icing sugar
4 cups flour

Beat butter and sugar until well blended and light colored, add flour in one cup at a time and beat well. This dough is stiff enough to use in the press but makes delicate shortbread cookies. I use it with my snowflake shape and my star shape. We sometimes add food coloring to make them pretty. I've also done half the dough for snowflakes and then added in a couple of tbsps of cocoa and made chocolate shortbread sticks with the one of the other patterns.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you for this recipe Alix

Tags
cookie