Cookie presses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I have FOUR cookie presses...one that is manual, two that are "shooters," one that is "battery-operated." I CANNOT get any of them to press my grandma's spritz cookie dough (not even the one I inherited from her). I have chilled the dough, chilled the tube, not chilled the dough, not chilled tube, etc. I have been trying to make "S" cookies for 2 days. I am SO frustrated. The dough overflows the "disk" that is supposed to press down, etc. All are going to the Goodwill tomorrow.

Last edited:
I use a big cloth pastry bag with a very large "star" tip, like you would use to ice an entire cupcake. I have used a press and they can be very fussy, I find the bag easier, but you need a good strong hand.

I usually make mine in an S-shape

Darn. I bought a cookie press at a yard sale recently. It was pretty cheap, but had no directions included. I've Googled it but didn't get the help I was hoping for and thought someone :angel: might post instructions and/or photos and even entertain dumb questions here.

I kind of like the pastry bag idea, because I know where mine is (I think). Any hints on how loose the dough needs to be using a bag would be appreciated. TIA.

Guess it's easy to tell why the cookie press was in the yard sale.

I use a cook's illustrated recipe for spritz, it is made for a press, or pastry bag, and I don't alter the recipe at all, and measure very carefully (I use weight measurements). I also make sure that the butter is room temp, that makes it easier to squeeze without it being too soft to hold its shape.

bakechef

Where did you find the giant star tip?

I bought the largest one I could find with a coupler and it still will not produce a cookie similar in size to those found in a bakery. The smaller tips are almost impossible to use for piping this dough.

Given the amount of butter in the recipe, I wouldn't think that greasing the tube would be necessary. The recipe is the one my grandma made for over 50 years. It has worked in the past, but her cookie press is giving me problems, so I tried the others I have and it just isn't working. Did other stuff, about to try with the pastry bag..

Are you using real butter? I have found that with press cookies, you really need to use real butter. You can't substitute margarine. I went through the same thing years ago when I made the recipe with margarine and could not get the dough to shape right and the dough just oozed everywhere. 4 batches later I gave up. The next year I used real butter and it made all the difference.

bakechef

Where did you find the giant star tip?

I bought the largest one I could find with a coupler and it still will not produce a cookie similar in size to those found in a bakery. The smaller tips are almost impossible to use for piping this dough.

It's an Ateco # 825, (size 5)I got it at restaurant supply. You use this without a coupler.

Amazon has it too. http://www.amazon.com/Ateco-Pastry-...LED6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323832837&sr=8-1
31ra%2B2vPnhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I use that with a 24" coated pastry bag.

I use that tip for nice big rosettes of whipped cream on cheesecakes and such.

Last edited:
I haven't made spritz cookies in a long time, but I have one of the super shooters (electric). Always worked great for me. I will need to try making some again. I even made chocolate ones. Now...where are those recipes?...

Are you using real butter? I have found that with press cookies, you really need to use real butter. You can't substitute margarine. I went through the same thing years ago when I made the recipe with margarine and could not get the dough to shape right and the dough just oozed everywhere. 4 batches later I gave up. The next year I used real butter and it made all the difference.
Yes--real butter, this is my grandma's recipe and I don't use margarine. Not only is it real butter, it is Land-o'Lakes, so the expensive butter.

Yes--real butter, this is my grandma's recipe and I don't use margarine. Not only is it real butter, it is Land-o'Lakes, so the expensive butter.

Here in New England we are fortunate enough to have Cabots Butter. because it comes from Vermont, it is a lot fresher than LOL. Our LOL comes from NJ. My son uses Irish butter. That is even better than Cabots. But it is big $$$. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom