Cookies - American-style?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I can add a little more. For the purpose of chocolate chip cookies, we'll refer to the pre-formed chips in bags (or bulk, if you can buy them that way).

chocolatechips-ci.jpg

Under US regulations, "milk chocolate" needs to contain a certain amount of milk. It contains less cocoa (what makes chocolate "chocolate") and a generous amount of sugar. "Dark chocolate" contains no milk, or perhaps a trace but still too little to label "milk", and a higher concentration of cocoa, less sugar. "Semi-sweet" is the in-between. No milk, less cocoa than "dark", and more sugar, too. You are right about US milk chocolate being inferior to the European made, rr.

As far as "bittersweet" and the rest, those are usually blocks of chocolate that can be broken or grated into a recipe, mostly to melt and incorporate into the moist base of a recipe. "Unsweetened" is just that - no sugar added. Dry and bitter. Eat a piece once, you'll never forget.

As far as which chips to use in your cookie, giovannadia, you can use any kind you would like. When I make chocolate chip cookies, I prefer the dark chocolate chips. They are less sweet and more chocolate intense than my other choices. Go big-flavored, I say. ;)

Hope this helps. (Hope I'm right. :ermm: )

Thank you, CG! That helps me too.

So when you say you use dark chocolate, does that mean the same dark chocolate you can buy as candy bars as opposed to semi-sweet chips?

Last edited:
Hi there!

Thank you all for the explanations!

It's important to know these type of chocolate if I want to make american cookies. I can buy it only on Amazon, I think.
However, at the moment I can only buy these chocolate chips in Italy. They are the best:

http://https://www.perugina.it/it/prodotti/linea-dessert/30/gocce-di-cioccolato/
that

Do you think are they right?
See you then!

I think this is the link you tried to post. If it is, then yes, that looks to be what we use to make chocolate chip cookies.

Hi there!

Thank you all for the explanations!

It's important to know these type of chocolate if I want to make american cookies. I can buy it only on Amazon, I think.
However, at the moment I can only buy these chocolate chips in Italy. They are the best:

http://https://www.perugina.it/it/prodotti/linea-dessert/30/gocce-di-cioccolato/
that

Do you think are they right?
See you then!

Those chips looks perfect. I myself prefer the dark chocolate chips.

Funny, we as Americans pay lots of money to buy Italian cookies at our local Italian bakery and you an Italian want to make American cookies. Easter is coming very shortly and there isn't an American/Italian family that won't be loading up of cookies from home. Or making them, themselves. :angel:

Toll House cookies are so good! I also love Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal cookies, with raisins. You can also make both in bar form, just bake the batter in a pan.

I've made a lot of peanut butter cookies back in the day, but I couldn't eat them. I ate too much raw batter, so I got sick of them!

Toll House cookies are so good! I also love Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal cookies, with raisins. You can also make both in bar form, just bake the batter in a pan.

I've made a lot of peanut butter cookies back in the day, but I couldn't eat them. I ate too much raw batter, so I got sick of them!

I still do. I have a roll of the standard America vanilla cookie in the freezer. Cut off a slice and place on a cookie sheet. It is for my granddaughter. I made a peanut butter one for her, but it never made it to the freezer. Yum, they were so good. A good excuse to get back in the kitchen and make them again. :angel:

Hi There!
I finally made chocolate chips cookies with the original recipe read in a link suggested by Kayelle (Toll House Cookies: A Secret History - The Toast)
The first time the cookies weren't delicious because I made a mistake when I trasformed cups with european measures! (cups with grams!) I put to much sugar and less flour ,I think!!
I tried again today morning and I am very satisfied, I weighed with cups and grams at the same time!. This recipe is OK. :yum::yum::yum:

Last edited:
Personally, being a foreigner, the only cookie that I consider strictly American are chocolate chip cookies. All the others I have had in one form or another back in my pre-American days.

Personally, being a foreigner, the only cookie that I consider strictly American are chocolate chip cookies. All the others I have had in one form or another back in my pre-American days.

Charlie, in my eyes you are as American as the rest of Americans.

being a foreigner
No wonder you have a problem with our spelling of words. But Pirate is even worse than anyone else I know when it comes to spelling. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom