Cookies - American-style?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, Nadia. We make lots of different cookies, like chocolate chip and oatmeal-raisin. Can you describe the cookies you want to make? What are some of the ingredients?

I like cookies with chocolate chips!

If that's the case, you might want to explore recipes for classic chocolate-chip cookies, also known as toll house cookies.

There are plenty of recipes for these cookies, which are favorites in many American homes. Nothing yummier than a handful of chocolate-chip cookies and a glass of milk!

Many recipes came with immigrants. Do you make pizzelle cookies? So do many Italian Americans. I have a German ancestry, ginger snaps are also made here in the US.

pizzelle or ferratelle

I'm from Italy, I live in Florence.
I know these pizzelle with another name: ferratelle!
They are a typical abruzzian biscuits. We make them soft or crunchy. Look at this site: "http://www.cappuccinoecornetto.com and search "ferratelle".
If you don't undertand some sentences or word I help you!

Last edited:
If that's the case, you might want to explore recipes for classic chocolate-chip cookies, also known as toll house cookies.

There are plenty of recipes for these cookies, which are favorites in many American homes. Nothing yummier than a handful of chocolate-chip cookies and a glass of milk!

I agree, and here's more than anyone may want to know about this American classic cookie.
Toll House Cookies: A Secret History - The Toast

We are very happy you have joined us, and welcome!

I like to cook regional food, especially biscuits and cake but I'm curious to know also recipes of other country. I cooked a hot milk sponge cake of Tish Boyle tonight: I found this recipe surfing the net some months ago and I love it very much for breakfast. Also my family loves it!
I'm very happy to know people of distant country !
And now it's time to go to bed in Italy!
See you soon!

Last edited:
People in America seem to like one of two kinds of chocolate chip cookies. There's the flat, crispy cookie and then there's the cake like cookie. If you like the cake type of cookie and have access to some cream cheese, this recipe makes the most delicious chocolate chip cookies ever:

Softbatch Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies - Averie Cooks

Delicious! I'll definitely try them at the week-end. At the moment,
I don't understand how means "semi-sweet chocolate" . Is it the milk chocolate?

Um, I think someone else here might need to answer that, but I'll try.

It isn't milk chocolate. Here in the US you can buy chocolate for cooking as unsweetened or semi-sweetened. You could probably eat these cookies with any chocolate, but I think when making them here in the US, people prefer semi-sweet chocolate because the cookies themselves have so much sugar in them and the semi-sweet makes a nice contrast to that.

When I make a chocolate cheesecake, I also use semi-sweet chocolate to melt and mix into the batter, not milk chocolate. Milk chocolate is another step beyond semi-sweet, with more sugar and I think more milk in it. Our milk choclate here in the US has a reputation for being truly awful to people who are used to eating European chocolate, though.

Can anyone else step in here and explain this? I'm not sure I'm getting the distinction between the chocolates right. Does anyone know if Giovannadia could use a darker chocolate in her cookies if she has access to it?

Back
Top Bottom