Crisco's CCC Recipe ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kinda related, but not? is there a dedicated CCC recipe post/thread? Anywho, I tried a recipe from KitchedAid for CCCs:

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
2 eggs
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

Place sugar, brown sugar, margarine, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat on Speed 1 for 1 to 1 ½ minutes, or until smooth.

Add flour, baking soda, and salt, Beat on Speed 1 about 30 seconds, or until blended. Beat on Speed 2 for 30 to 60 seconds, or until smooth. Add chocolate chips. Beat on Speed 1 about 15 seconds, or until combined.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from baking sheets immediately and cool on wire racks.

=====

I made these, and added 2 tsp of Lemon Juice to activate/levinate? the Baking Soda. Also as a huge kicker, I added about 2oz of grinded cayenne pepper seeds!!! These are HOT, they're supposed to be.

Recently a good friend of mine passed away, and he ALWAYS cooked his food with a lot of hot spice. This coming Friday, April 23rd, we're having a memorial potluck & music concert in his honor, and I made this also in his honor.

The CCC dough came out really dense and almost crumbly, because of the 3 cups of flour. I was amazed how dense it was when I was mixing it! All the past CCCs I've made, I've just used the Wisk type beaters with my hand mixers, but with this recipe I figured I should use the Dough Beaters. Glad I did, because after I mixed all the stuff before the CCs and nuts were added, it was THICK. It took abit longer to evenly mix in the CCs and nuts, but it came out great!

Not sure if it was the extra Flour, and/or the Lemon Juice, but the cookies also came out nice and thick/tall and perfectly golden (12mins @375 on 'Air' cookie sheets)

(you can see the pepper seeds:chef:)

My favorite, by far, is Alton Brown's Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. If it's not on foodtv anymore, pm me for it. I add a handful each of oatmeal, ground pecans, and sweetened dried coconut. Sometimes it's just one or two. And I use milk chocolate chips. If you bake them at 375 (like the recipe says), make big mounds of dough (use 1/4 or 1/3 cup measure), and thoroughly chill the dough, they're the best cookies I've ever had.

Tim

Latest batch, pretty much same recipe as my last post, but with measured 6 TSP of Cayenne Pepper, and 1 TBSP of white vinegar added.

dsc4115r.jpg

Ok .. so since my last post I finally got a digital food scale!

Amazon.com: Escali P115C Primo Digital Multifunctional Food Scale, Chrome: Kitchen & Dining

This time I did

225g Sugar
200g Brown Sugar
8 oz butter
2 eggs
1 ½ tsp vanilla
1 tbsp white vinegar

3x 125g (375g) of AP Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
5 oz walnuts

And to make sure the dry stuff was all evenly distributed .. after I measured the flour, added the BS & salt .. I mixed them all in a bowl on low with my mixer .. then slowly added that to the wet mix.

1st batch I didn't chill the dough .. just to see what they'd look like .. and they pancaked flat.

2nd batch was cooled in the freezer while 1st was baking .. and 2nd is now baking as I type.

Attachments

• DSC_4476.JPG
    DSC_4476.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 163
2nd batch also came out flat .. prolly cause I am using correct amount of flour & cause I used butter. Before I was measuring flour by kinda packing it in the cup, and I usually use Butter Crisco.

These certainly taste more consistent .. I've had issues with past CCCs not tasting slightly different each time I made them.

I really want to get my cookies to be more fluffy, rise more .. almost cake like .. but not be dry.

Attachments

• DSC_4487.JPG
    DSC_4487.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 174
3rd also came out a bit flat .. but not quite as much, being chilled for a while.

I think that now I got a scale, I'll be messing with the flour & baking soda a bit to NOT make them pancake flat.

I am glad to see you've abandoned the Crisco. I don't like the way Crisco cookies feel in my mouth... kind of "greasy."

My personal preference is for dark brown sugar in CCC's. and toasted walnuts or pecans (no raisins!) Also, if you get a chance to buy Guittard chocolate chips (cost is about the same, but the flavor and texture -- oh my!) they will make you a convert. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom