"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 03-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Crisco's CCC Recipe ...

Ever since I've been trying my hand at baking, I've been trying different CCC recipes. I've only done 3 or 4 so far; Tollhouse, Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book (1981), Alton Brown's Puffy CCC, and this last one had very odd results.

Crisco's Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 stick Crisco Butter Flavor Shorting Sticks
or 3/4 cup
Crisco Butter Flavor Shorting
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown suger
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 (6oz) pkg of semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)

------

Errr...I think I know part of my issue is. As I was typing this recipe out, it called for 6oz of CCs .. I used a 12oz package. Also instead of pecans, I used a 6oz package of raisins.

Anywho, these CCCs came out rather flat, very chewy and left a oily spot on the parchment paper they were cooking & cooling on. The one thing that struck me as odd, was the absence of regular sugar. The dough came out rather creamy and almost like a thick cake frosting. Once the CCs & raisins were added, it just made it chunky.

I have about 1/2 of the batch left, and was thinking it needed more flour to thicken it up, add some structure & hopefully get them to raise and stay that way.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0959.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	7948  

Old 03-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

How'd they taste?

For thicker cookies (not thicker dough), chill the dough in the fridge for an hour then keep it chilled as you bake.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
They taste really CC'y (of course there is 2x the amt), moist & chewy (because of the raisins) .. I was hoping for puffy/thick (at least 10mm thick) cookies.

I prolly did not chill them long enuff in the fridge after mixing. They are really cold now (over night), I'll try them again .. unless there is something else I should do.

edit: I forgot to add, our oven can do reg. baking or convection baking. What would be the best?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Either convection or regular baking will do fine.

Both the brown sugar and the raisins add to the chewiness. If you wanted to do half brown and half granulated sugar, the cookies would be crisper.

Next time, make the recipe as published and see if you like the results. Then make changes and note the effect of the changes so you can get to the cookies you want.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I think for now, I'll stick to Tollhouse CCCs, or Alton Browns recipes, they've came out the best, IMHO.

Well, I can't really try these again, my folks and sister picked & ate away most of the remaining dough. I could prolly bake 3 or 4 cookies, but I'll/we'll just eeat the rest of dough, hehe
Old 03-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

My favorite CCC recipe is the following: It makes very high/thick, crisp cookies.

NEIMAN-MARCUS CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1 Lb Unsalted Butter - softened
2 C Sugar
2 C Light Brown Sugar
4 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
5 C Oatmeal
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
4 C Sifted Flour
1 tsp Salt
24 Oz Chocolate Chips
8 Oz Milk Chocolate, grated (Grates more easily if frozen)
3 C Chopped Walnuts

Cream the butter and sugars together.

Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.

Blend the oatmeal to a fine powder in a blender or food processor. Combine with the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Combine this mixture with the previous mixture.

Add in the chocolates and the nuts.

Place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 13 minutes at 375 F

For best results, the dough should be chilled for 30 minutes before starting and kept in the refrigerator between uses.

The cookie sheets should go in the freezer between trips to the oven.

Makes approximately 112 cookies

Old 03-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Thanks for the recipe Andy M, will give that a shot next time I bake CCCs

Wow, this makes ALOT of dough & cookies!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
Thanks for the recipe Andy M, will give that a shot next time I bake CCCs

Wow, this makes ALOT of dough & cookies!
They're very good. You can easily half the recipe.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i have a recipe that is for thin and crisp, wonderful. don't remember where i got it. on line i think. if you like em this way and would like the recipe and pm me and i will send to you.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I kinda like em thick/tall/puffy, and golden crisp outside..almost cake like, but not as airy.

I remember having some that were very thin, almost candy like and crisp..those were good from what I remember.

Tags
None