Cut Out Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runninduo

Senior Cook
I tried a new recipe for maple cookies. You chill the dough, roll it out and use cookie cutters. I've had this problem with other similar recipes (for sugar cookies). The dough gets too soft and sticky after I roll it, so i can't lift up the cut out shape without it getting all smooshed.

With these cookies today.......the dough chilled for 4 hrs (the min time required for the dough), and I rolled it out on a large silpat dusted with flour. when i saw the dough was too soft, i put the rolled out dough back in the fridge for about 30 hr and it was still too soft. I baked i sheet of cookies and put the rest of the dough back in the fridge to chill even longer. also, the cookies came out cakier than i would have thought. would have thought they'd be crispy. the recipe i used was from emeril's cookie show. anyone see that?

do i need to let it chill longer? could i have done something wrong when making the dough? can over mixing cause this to happen? i bake a lot and usually have great success. but, I do have problems with cut-out cookies.

any advice, tips or sypmathy would be greatly appreciated.

TIA. (thanks in advance)

laurie

My first thought is if the recipe had maple syrup in it; I just don't think you'd get a stiff enough dough w/out using too much flour, to get good results.

Can you post the recipe - maybe someone could get a better idea if they saw quantities, etc. Tx!

THis is the recipe. It was a viewer's recipe who entered it in Emeril's cookie contest. I had to find a different recipe for the glaze. I could only find maple sugar at Whole Fields and it was $12 a pound. Didn't want to spend that much on my first shot at the recipe.

Anyway, here's the recipe. Thanks again! The ones I baked tasted really yummy. As I said, they are cakier than I would have liked (and from what I remember when Emeril made them on his show).

laurie

Cookies:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon maple extract
1/4 cup maple syrup
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Heavy cream

Maple Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup maple sugar
1 teaspoon maple extract
1/4 cup unsalted butter

In a medium bowl, cream the butter, then gradually add the sugar and continue to beat. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, maple extract, and maple syrup, and beat until light and fluffy.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Thoroughly blend into the butter mixture. Form into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 4 hours.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Roll the dough out 1/4-inch thick. With a drinking glass, cut out cookies and transfer to parchment lined baking sheet. Brush the cookies with heavy cream. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile make the maple glaze. Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until it just reaches the boiling point. Brush or dip the tops of the cookies in the maple glaze while still hot. Let cool. These taste better the next day.

Just for S&G's (censored, but my newest favorite phrase :D ), why don't you try them without the maple syrup, and bump up the extract maybe another 1/2 tsp or so?

First......it took me like 10 secs to figure out S&Gs. And, it's a term a use I should start using the abbreviated form b/f I left the full version slip in front of my almost 3 yr old.

ANyway, I'll try it without the syrup. I just re-rolled the dough after letting it chill overnight and the same thing happened. Couldn't get the cut dough off the silpat. Could the type of maple syrup I used make a difference? It's the real stuff not one of the mass marketed brands.

Anyway, thanks.

Laurie

runninduo, instead of cutting them out try rolling a log of the dough in wax paper (or parchment) that is covered in coloured sprinkles. Refrigerate, or even freeze slightly, then unroll, cut into rounds about 1/3 inch thick and bake that way. My maple cookie recipe is similar to yours and that is how I do em. They taste like shortbread and are VERY popular in our house.

terrific idea, alix.

i ended up tossing the rest of the dough (about half the batch).....i was so frustrated. but i had maple on the brain, so i made some maple scones. can't wait for the glaze to set so i can have one (it's 11:11am here and I haven't eaten breakfast yet).

Also, would you mind sharing your recipe for maple cookies? If it's a family "heirloom", I totally understand, but would love to try a recipe that is tried and true.

Thanks!!!

laurie

Definitely LOVE to share it with you. No such thing as an heirloom recipe in my eyes, they are meant to be shared. Here goes:

1 cup shortening (butter, whatever)
2/3 cup golden brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp maple extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg, beat well. Add maple extract. Sift in dry ingredients; mix well. Shape dough into two rolls (about 1 inch in diameter) and roll in either chocolate or coloured sprinkles. Chill until firm. Slice cookies 1/4 - 1/3 inch thick; place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 7 to 8 minutes. Watch carefully! Do not let them brown on top. You can also roll these in finely chopped nuts. Yummy.

I have used both. The flatten out a bit more with the butter so I often go halfies just to keep both taste and texture. Try that. I am so jealous. I want to bake now!

My kitchen is being renovated and I have no...well...nothing! No sink, counter, stove, oven...I have a crockpot, a BBQ, and an electric frying pan. Nothing however that will bake well. (BBQ is too old and unreliable)

I am hoping more like Thanksgiving. Ours that is. I am praying that he is done before October 10th or we will be moving our feast! Those cookies are one of my faves. I tend to make a double batch, put one out and hide one batch in the freezer for my "tea breaks".

Wow! I'm jealous. A new kitchen. I'd love to get new cabinets and countertops, but my son just started preschool (which is ridiculously expensive), so a new kitchen will have to wait. We did get new appliances last summer, so that's been fun. We've been in our house for 4 yrs. The previous owner redid the cabinets and counters some time in the last 10 yrs. They look nice on the outside (white cabinets w/white tile counters), but the cabinets aren't at all space efficient, especially the pantry.

I'm definitely gonna try your cookies soon.

The maple scones I made were delicious. I actually brought 1/2 the recipe to my friend's house today for our weekly playgoup (4 almost 3 year old boys born within 12 days of eachother). They are too good to be lying around my house!

Anyway, thanks again for the recipe and the tips. Good luck with the kitchen renovation!

Laur

Since you're rolling them out onto silpats anyway, why not just roll, cut, and transfer the silpat to a baking sheet directly, leaving the cookies intact? Why remove the cookies if you don't have to? All you'd have to do was use the mold to cut the cookies, and then when the baking was complete, you could just scoop the cut out cookies.

Alix,

Haven't had the chance to make your cookies yet. Since then, I've made maple scones again, a coffee cake for a family gathering and a chocolate chip pecan pie. I'll get to your cookies soon!!!!!!!

I have so many uneaten sweets in the house right now. I'm running out of room. LOL. Plus, my almost three year old son is giving up his naps....therefore my baking time is somewhat limited these days.

I'll try them soon, though!

Laur

Back
Top Bottom