DH only likes one kind of cookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soma

Senior Cook
I get so bored of making this oatmeal cookie. The recipe is on the Robin Hood Old Mill Oats bag which we can buy in any grocery store. But my husband just LOVES it and always asks for it.

I try to vary the recipe by adding different grains, like coconut along with the oatmeal, or sesame seeds, various nuts, even bits of chocolate, raisins and/or dried cranberries, chunks of ginger, or candied orange.

But today, I found this new-to-me sugar in our local health food store. I substituted it for the 1/2 cup of white sugar in the recipe, and also added the 3/4 cup brown sugar called for.

cocSugar.JPG

I wonder if it will taste any different?

Last edited:
I don't think it has a coconut flavor, if that's what you're asking.

I did find this info though, so now I'm intrigued and need to find some! ::

Coconut Sugar is rated as a GI 35. By comparison, most commercial Honeys are GI 55 and Cane Sugars are GI 68. It has a nutritional content far richer than all other commercially available sweeteners. Coconut Sugar is especially high in Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc and Iron and is a natural source of the vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and C. Coconut Sugar is a 100% Organic, unprocessed, unfiltered, and unbleached natural sweetener. And contains no preservatives.

I saw a recent article, these natural sugars are replacing artificial sweeteners as a good choice. Agave, coconut, palm sugars, all "hot" now!

Will have to seek out coconut sugar.

Soma, is your recipe similar to Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal cookies/bars? Those are so good!

Last edited:
Writing down "Coconut Sugar." I'm not crazy about agave, it tastes astringent to me.

Thanks for the heads up, Soma!

Soma, Thanks! I got the coconut sugar and it tastes great in my coffee, that's the big test for an alternative sweetener. No coconut flavor...I would definitely notice that in my favorite beverage.

Nope, no coconut flavour. Guess I'll have to add coconut to the cookie if I want the coconut flavour.

To me, these cookies are way too sweet, and I don't really have a sweet tooth (except for chocolate - I think I have a chocolate tooth). But DH likes them, and that's who I made 'em for. He's a cookie monster; actually looks very sad when there aren't any homemade cookies in the house.

and Dawgluver: I never heard of vanishing oatmeal cookies....I wonder what is the vanishing part? does it mean that the oatmeal is so very finely ground that you can't tell it's an ingredient? Or does it mean that these cookies are so good that they vanish from the cookie box very quickly?
ok, I just googled the vanishing cookies, and they don't say anything about why it's called 'vanishing'....but the recipe does look similar to mine except that I use only 3/4 cup flour...so the cookie melts on the sheet more, as a flat, chewy cookie. My DH doesn't like "cookie balls" which are hard to bite into, which is what happens when I add more flour. (as I said: I make these for him).

I guess it's anyone's guess why the name.....

Last edited:
Soma said:
Nope, no coconut flavour. Guess I'll have to add coconut to the cookie if I want the coconut flavour.

To me, these cookies are way too sweet, and I don't really have a sweet tooth (except for chocolate - I think I have a chocolate tooth). But DH likes them, and that's who I made 'em for. He's a cookie monster; actually looks very sad when there aren't any homemade cookies in the house.

and Dawgluver: I never heard of vanishing oatmeal cookies....I wonder what is the vanishing part? does it mean that the oatmeal is so very finely ground that you can't tell it's an ingredient? Or does it mean that these cookies are so good that they vanish from the cookie box very quickly?
ok, I just googled the vanishing cookies, and they don't say anything about why it's called 'vanishing'....but the recipe does look similar to mine except that I use only 3/4 cup flour...so the cookie melts on the sheet more, as a flat, chewy cookie. My DH doesn't like "cookie balls" which are hard to bite into, which is what happens when I add more flour. (as I said: I make these for him).

I guess it's anyone's guess why the name.....

Soma, the recipe is under the lid of every box of Quaker Oatmeal. They vanish because they're so good! Walnuts and chocolate chips are also good in them. This is about the only thing I bake!

http://www.quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/content/recipes/recipe-detail.aspx?recipeid=474

Last edited:
Soma, the recipe is under the lid of every box of Quaker Oatmeal. They vanish because they're so good! Walnuts and chocolate chips are also good in them. This is about the only thing I bake!

Recipes | QuakerOats.com

I buy my Quaker Oats at Costco: 2x2.5kg bags. It has a recipe for apple crisp and one for date squares.

I won't be making any cookies for a while. I'm trying to lose weight doing low carb.

I use a similar recipe, but only half the flour, only one egg, and 2 TBSPs water.... makes the cookie more chewy-gooey.

I have a friend who did the low-carb diet for a year or so.....lost 60 pounds. He looked and felt great for 6 months or so.....then gained it all back plus 10 pounds. I've heard that story before, so many times......so go easy!

Last edited:
I use a similar recipe, but only half the flour, only one egg, and 2 TBSPs water.... makes the cookie more chewy-gooey.

I have a friend who did the low-carb diet for a year or so.....lost 60 pounds. He looked and felt great for 6 months or so.....then gained it all back plus 10 pounds. I've heard that story before, so many times......so go easy!

I've done low carb before. I lost around 50 pounds.It took over a year. I gained back 20 of those pounds over six years. I needed to gain back about 10 of them, I had gotten a bit scrawny. Since I quit smoking in July, I have gained 30 pounds, so I'm back where I started before the first round of low carb.

Oh wow, taxlady.....I guess you're in for some serious caloric ......deprivations?....strict observances....? what do you call it?.....for awhile at least. Good luck with that!

I can make these in bars???!!!.....now THAT should save time....gonna try it next week, yay! Thanks AndyM.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom