Do you Chill Cookie Dough Before baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoorCooker

Assistant Cook
I don't like really flat, crunchy, cookies.

I heard that chilling the dough helps the cookies rise a little and you have a better looking and tasting cookie when you chill the dough for around an hour before you bake.

Is this true? Because I usually end up baking very flat chocolate chip cookies when I'd rather have more bakery looking style cookies.

I've also heard it's better to add more flour and a little less sugar. And maybe add a tablespoon of milk.

Oh well, a any cookie experts would be appreciated.

I try and chill the dough if possible.........using butter instead of shortening will spread your cookies out more, too..........butter has a lower cooking temp.........use double insulated cookie sheets and if you want to make clean-up easier the parchment baking sheets are fantastic and can be used over and over............I advocate the parchment paper if your recipe calls for butter as it's easier to burn the cookies.......have fun.......but no, it's not absolutely mandatory to chill the dough though I try to start cookies early in the morning...........

It's absolutely true (chilling the dough) if you use butter. I do it all the time.

I don't know about adding more flour and less sugar.

I always chill my dough. With most recipes, I use shortening rather than butter, even if the recipe calls for butter. If I want the butter flavor I use half butter and half shortening. Many cookie recipes call for too much sugar and can be reduced to personal taste. I don't usually add more flour.

I don't like really flat, crunchy, cookies.

I heard that chilling the dough helps the cookies rise a little and you have a better looking and tasting cookie when you chill the dough for around an hour before you bake.

Is this true? Because I usually end up baking very flat chocolate chip cookies when I'd rather have more bakery looking style cookies.

I've also heard it's better to add more flour and a little less sugar. And maybe add a tablespoon of milk.

Oh well, a any cookie experts would be appreciated.

Your cookie will hold its shape better if you chill the dough for at least 4 hours before forming and baking the cookies. With some recipes, I refrigerate the dough between trays, having cold dough is that important.

I chill the dough, then I also chill the cookie sheet and when I portion it out on the sheet i stick it back in the fridge for a few minutes before it goes in.

its an emdless rotation of 3 cookie sheets.

Yes, chilling the pan would be a good idea too. Some of those cookie recipes on the back of the package are a little flat! lol

I chill the dough, then I also chill the cookie sheet and when I portion it out on the sheet i stick it back in the fridge for a few minutes before it goes in.

its an emdless rotation of 3 cookie sheets.

GRK passed this technique on to me a while back and I can vouch for him-it works like a charm!! Listen to him-the man knows his cookies!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom