Dog cookies--Ripley's Believe it or Not Pumpkin Biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I couldn't find a thread for dog treats--but these are made with human-grade ingredients and could be eaten by the 2-legged members in the house (feathered or not). I developed this recipe for a dog rescue charity's cookbook (still have a few copies of it--PM me if you're interested--there are 50 or so recipes in it).

Makes 60 2" bones

Ingredients:

1 egg
1/2 c pineapple, crushed
1 c pumpkin
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 T honey
1 T molasses
1/4 c cottage cheese
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
4-1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c raw sunflower seeds
1/2 tsp baking powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a food processor (egg, pineapple, pumpkin, vegetable oil, honey, molasses, cottage cheese). Blend until smooth.
2. On a sheet of waxed paper, measure flour, sunflower seeds, spices, and baking powder. Cut with knife until blended (or, sift everything except the sunflower seeds, dump on waxed paper, and cut in sunflower seeds).
3. Add flour to pureed ingredients 1 cup at a time. Pulse to blend. If dough is too stiff, add a bit of water or buttermilk. If too soft, add more flour. Blend to make a stiff dough.
4. Roll out 1/4 " thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut with bone-shaped or other "doggie" cookie cutters.
5. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
6. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
7. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.

Back
Top Bottom