Double chocolate cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirty Harry

Assistant Cook
I am walking past the baking section in a local Best Yet Store your every day mini supermarket and I see double chocolate cookies, call me not a coinsure but dam they looked good. And I get them home crunchy and taste as good as they look about 4 inch. I spent hours looking on the web
looking so far I have not found a recipe that produces this type of cookie.
I did find a fair amount of crunchy chocolate cookie recipes but not one/
I am sure these cookies probably come pre made and baked in a store.

Does anyone have a recipe that bakes a cookie like this. I would hope someone has this secret recipe for the common man chocolate cookie

Welcome to DC! My grandma made a wonderful chocolate cookie that was like chocolate cake and frosted with dark chocolate frosting. Maybe if you could take a picture of the cookies, we could come up with some ideas re: how to copycat them.

Welcome to DC. I hope someone finds what you are looking for. My family loves chocolate anything. Along with lemon anything. I am off to search the web to see what I can find. :angel:

I adore double chocolate chip cookies:
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/2014/01/19/wait/
chocolate chocolate cookies.jpg
MMM!
These are Hersey's Very Chocolate Chocolate cookies
with an added somethin'
They're super!

Welcome to DC! My grandma made a wonderful chocolate cookie that was like chocolate cake and frosted with dark chocolate frosting. Maybe if you could take a picture of the cookies, we could come up with some ideas re: how to copycat them.

My mother made those too, hers included walnuts. This recipe is very similar to the one she used.

Chocolate Drop Cookies Recipe | Taste of Home

We also made these every year for the Christmas cookie tray.

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=5592

My mother made those too, hers included walnuts. This recipe is very similar to the one she used.

Chocolate Drop Cookies Recipe | Taste of Home

We also made these every year for the Christmas cookie tray.

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=5592

This is the recipe that is in my grandma's cookbook from 1921 (at least, that is the date she wrote on the front page). I have no idea where she got this recipe or if it was one of her own. Similar orange cookies where made like this, as well as lemon cookies and lime cookies. This recipe produces a cookie that is cake-like. The last time I made these was on Mother's Day in 2012 for my mom (who has dementia). She remembered these:

Grandma's Sour Cream Chocolate Cookies

1/2 c shortening
2 c brown sugar (packed)
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 c sour milk, buttermilk, or sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
3-1/2 c AP flour
1/2 c walnuts (optional)

1. Cream shortening and sugar together.
2. Add cocoa, eggs, vanilla to creamed mixture.
3. Beat for 2 minutes.
4. Add sour milk/sour cream and vanilla. Beat for 30 seconds until blended.
5. Sift together: flour and baking soda.
6. Add dry ingredients to wet, mix lightly, stir in walnuts. Chill for 2 hours.
7. Break off bits of dough, flatten with the bottom of a glass. Bake for 10 minutes at 375.

Frosting:

This was powdered sugar, melted chocolate, butter, and you play this by ear. When the cookies are cool, frost. Or use a boiled chocolate frosting. Always use dark chocolate.

Last edited:
How fortunate that you can continue the legacy of your grandmother's oven. And that your mother can still have memories of her childhood. How fortunate for her. And you get to be the one who can carry this on. You may not have children to pass these recipes on to, but you know that they will continue on through this forum. They will not be lost. I love the handwritten notes that you include. Thanks for sharing the memories of your grandmother,

Copies and pasted. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom