"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 11-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Head Chef

Easy Rugalach - T&T

Rugalach is a rolled filled cookie I use to help my Hungarian grandma make when I was growing up. She made the dough from scratch. Since I didn't write down her recipe, I came up with a quick and easy version. There are no amounts - just go by feel.

Refrigerated crescent roll dough
chopped walnuts
sugar
cinnamon
raisins

Crack open the pkg of dough & lay out on wooden cutting board. Sprinkle the dough with a mixture of cinnamon & sugar. Sprinkle the dough (on the wide end) with chopped walnuts and raisins. Separate the dough (triangles) & roll up frrom widest end to the narrowest end (point of the triangle). Don't over fill. Sprinkle the top w more cinnamon. Bake according to pkg directions. Mine came out a little hard - maybe I cooked too long or should have used an eggwash.

Another option/filling I like - Chocolate chips (in place of the raisins) & chopped walnuts.

I've seen some fillings made with apricot or strawberry jam? Have fun with it & use your imagination for fillings you might like.

Note: If you want a bigger cookie similar to a croissant shape, pinch the perforations of the dough together (doubling the size) & increase the filling.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
but there's no yeast in MY Rugulach dough, and it's sweet, to boot. Your recipe sounds more like a cinnamon roll, not Rugulach.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
but there's no yeast in MY Rugulach dough, and it's sweet, to boot. Your recipe sounds more like a cinnamon roll, not Rugulach.
Hi ChefJune. Would love it if you would share your recipe. And, wanted to ask - some people say cream cheese must be part of the dough. What's your take/input? Don't recall my grandma using it - not sure. TIA.

ETA: Mine is a quick and ez version - not the authentic (is there one?) recipe.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Master Chef

Well, Amy, I just looked up my recipe, and there is no sugar in it, but there also is no yeast, and yes, I use cream cheese. A little grated orange rind lifts the flavor wonderfully.

RUGULACH

makes about 36

1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups sifted all purpose flour

1. In a large bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and cheese until completely blended and smooth. Beat in salt, and on low speed, add flour. When the dough is smooth, flour hands and form dough into a short fat roll. Cut roll in three (3) equal pieces. Form each piece into a round about 12 inches in diameter. Cut roll into 3 equal pieces and form each piece into a round ball, flatten to a disc and wrap each piece in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F., and cover cookie sheets with heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down.

2. Roll each piece of dough to a 12-inch-diameter round. Melt 3 tablespoons unsalted butter to brush over the rounds. Spread with preserves or conserves of your choice and sprinkle them with chopped nuts. Or, you can add cinnamon and sugar to the nuts, and sprinkle them evenly over the rounds. Cut each circle in 12 wedges, like a pie, and roll up into crescents. [You can also roll the dough out into a long rectangle and roll it up and slice into about 1 1/4-inch chunks.]

3. Brush with a glaze made of 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon water.

4. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until golden, in the preheated oven.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

On her Thanksgiving visit, my sister brought along a batch of Rugelach, which I remembered vaguely from childhood, but had almost forgotten. I have only one left, and I hesitate to eat it, because...well, all gone and so darned good.

She referred me to epicurious.com, specifically to Lora Brody's recipe, which she says (and she has a fair amount of experience with this pastry) is the best she has found. It is a fair amount of work, but the results (I am a witness) are wonderful. Authentic? I can't say, but it sure seems like haimish to me !
Old 11-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Well, Amy, I just looked up my recipe, and there is no sugar in it, but there also is no yeast, and yes, I use cream cheese. A little grated orange rind lifts the flavor wonderfully.

RUGULACH

makes about 36

1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups sifted all purpose flour

1. In a large bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and cheese until completely blended and smooth. Beat in salt, and on low speed, add flour. When the dough is smooth, flour hands and form dough into a short fat roll. Cut roll in three (3) equal pieces. Form each piece into a round about 12 inches in diameter. Cut roll into 3 equal pieces and form each piece into a round ball, flatten to a disc and wrap each piece in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F., and cover cookie sheets with heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down.

2. Roll each piece of dough to a 12-inch-diameter round. Melt 3 tablespoons unsalted butter to brush over the rounds. Spread with preserves or conserves of your choice and sprinkle them with chopped nuts. Or, you can add cinnamon and sugar to the nuts, and sprinkle them evenly over the rounds. Cut each circle in 12 wedges, like a pie, and roll up into crescents. [You can also roll the dough out into a long rectangle and roll it up and slice into about 1 1/4-inch chunks.]

3. Brush with a glaze made of 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon water.

4. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until golden, in the preheated oven.
YUM! Thanks ChefJune. The orange zest sounds delish. Copied & saved. Thank you.

Have you tried a filling of chocolate & nuts? It's to die for. Careful when the chocolate is hot though.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrave View Post
On her Thanksgiving visit, my sister brought along a batch of Rugelach, which I remembered vaguely from childhood, but had almost forgotten. I have only one left, and I hesitate to eat it, because...well, all gone and so darned good.

She referred me to epicurious.com, specifically to Lara Brody's recipe, which she says (and she has a fair amount of experience with this pastry) is the best she has found. It is a fair amount of work, but the results (I am a witness) are wonderful. Authentic? I can't say, but it sure seems like haimish to me !
Thank you robgrave. Will go check it out. They are delish; and remember it took the better part of a day to make when I helped (more watched, lol), grandma make them.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
YUM! Thanks ChefJune. The orange zest sounds delish. Copied & saved. Thank you.

Have you tried a filling of chocolate & nuts? It's to die for. Careful when the chocolate is hot though.
I've eaten the chocolate ones, but I don't make those because I like the fruit ones best...
Old 11-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
I've eaten the chocolate ones, but I don't make those because I like the fruit ones best...
It's all good. So now I'm thinking of a few different combos... Like your orange zest idea - maybe semi-sweet chocolate chips, orange zest, & nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts).

Or, if you like the fruit fillings (I do too) - how about cranberries, and nuts (& cream cheese).

I'm hungry for rugalach now.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Master Chef

There is this bakery in Baltimore, they make absolutely the best rogalach ever. Even better than my grandmas, for sure better than my moms, and they aere dairy free, yum. Unfortunately they do not ship, otherwise I'd spend most of my money there.

Tags
None