"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 08-03-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
Head Chef

Easy shortbread TNT

Not quite as good as the authentic scottish version but easy and tasty. My mum used to make them so they have fond memories for me.
250g butter
1 cup icing sugar
2 1/2 cups plain flour
Method
Soften butter mix all ingredients to form a dough then knead lightly. Roll into 2 rolls, wrap in gladwrap and place in fridge for 30 minutes. Cut slices off to form biscuits then bake in slow oven (130C) for aprox. 15 minutes.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Mrs Mac
There's a whole thread on Scottish shortbread that I started some time ago - here's my opening post in that thread.

From Shortbread
I think that nearly every family in Scotland has its own recipe for shortbread - here's mine! It uses rice flour and gives a lovely light texture. I use an old wooden shortbread mould that it probably at least a hundred years old (getting a little cracked nowadays, but still makes a good round of shortbread!) The amounts I suggest fills that mould.

5 oz plain flour
3 tablespoons rice flour
2 oz caster sugar
4 oz butter

Sift flours together and add sugar. Work in butter with fingertips. Knead mixture lightly, but don't overwork or the butter will go oily.

Either use a shortbread mould or pack into a 7 inch sandwich cake tin. Make sure you 'prick' the mixture well with a fork to prevent it rising too much and making the results look 'bumpy'.

If you use a cake tin, mark the round into wedges before baking.

To make traditional 'petticoat tail' shortbread - lay the circle of shortbread on a baking tray, mark into wedges and then, using your fingers, make a scalloped edge to the dough.

Put in a heated oven Gas Mark 3, 160C or 325F for about 45 minutes until golden. When cool, dredge with a little caster sugar.

(Caster sugar is finer than granulated, but not as fine as icing sugar and I'm not sure what it's called in the USA or Canada!)

Keep in an airtight container and eat within a couple of days.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:46 AM   #3
Head Chef

Sorry I didn't check far enough back! Thats why i haven't started a thread before lol, I knew I would stuff it up somehow.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:56 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Noooo.... I wasn't saying it to stop you starting a thread, MrsMac! I just thought you might be interested in seeing my family recipe for real Scottish shortbread! Heaven forfend that I stop anyone posting anything - and your recipe is a good one!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:01 AM   #5
Head Chef

Sorry, hormonal and paranoid!!!!
I LOVE real shortbread but I am lazy!! I would love to find a mold one day, they make it look so great. I actually have a Scottish cookbooks my parents bought me when they went to Scotland. I must reread it.

Tags
None