"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 10-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Exclamation Flat Cookies

I am just about ready to go . I can't seem to do anything to get my cookies to do ANYTHING other than get flat. I'm trying to make chocolate chip cookies and follow the recipe to the T but still end up with flat, thin cookies. I've tried keeping the dough chilled, using a brand new box of baking soda, turning down the oven, shortening the baking time, using soft butter, using melted butter...but NOTHING seems to work.... PLEASE someone HELP!!!

Old 10-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It's the butter. It melts quickly at a low temperature, allowing the dough to spread out flat on the cookie sheet before the oven heat can set the dough.

After mixing the dough, put it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Put the cookies onto a chilled cookie sheet and bake. Keep the dough in the fridge between batches and re-chill the cookie sheets after each use.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
TT, if you're making the recipe off the yellow bag of chips, the result WILL be a flat cookie. That''s the way they were originally. Nowadays, everyone seems to want cookies with height, and the only way to achieve this is by following Andy's BigChill" method!

Good Luck!
Old 10-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks So Much! I've had the dough in the fridge for more than 3 hours...so we'll see how it works now!
From now on, should I use Margarine instead of Butter? Or maybe the Butter Flavored Crisco?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Nope - butter, butter and more butter! :) I'm a butter fan - no margerine or butsco in my house. Once chilled, use a small ice cream scoop to scoop out each cookie. That should help to give a thick chewy cookie too.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I always keep my chocolate chips in the freezer. In addition to chilling the dough, I find the frozen chips help the cookies to keep their shape.

And, yes, if you use the recipe that's on the chocolate chip bag, the cookies will be flat.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
Head Chef

Welcome to DC. One ingredient I always use when baking chocolate chip cookies is regular butter. I never use the receipes off the chips bag.

Good luck - I am sure they will all turn out light and fluffy.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I always keep my chocolate chips in the freezer. In addition to chilling the dough, I find the frozen chips help the cookies to keep their shape.

And, yes, if you use the recipe that's on the chocolate chip bag, the cookies will be flat.
What a great idea! TY!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #9
Head Chef

Make sure you whip up the butter and sugar well together before adding other ingredients. Cool dough before starting to bake.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Flat Cookies

Hello,

I too have had the flat cookie problem like "tator tot". I will try the chilling method that one of you suggested as well. But a question I have is if anyone would mind sharing their favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. The only one's I've ever used were off the chip bags. Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Tags
None