Flat Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tater_Tot

Assistant Cook
I am just about ready to go :wacko: . I can't seem to do anything to get my cookies to do ANYTHING other than get flat. I'm trying to make chocolate chip cookies and follow the recipe to the T but still end up with flat, thin cookies. I've tried keeping the dough chilled, using a brand new box of baking soda, turning down the oven, shortening the baking time, using soft butter, using melted butter...but NOTHING seems to work.... PLEASE someone HELP!!!

It's the butter. It melts quickly at a low temperature, allowing the dough to spread out flat on the cookie sheet before the oven heat can set the dough.

After mixing the dough, put it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Put the cookies onto a chilled cookie sheet and bake. Keep the dough in the fridge between batches and re-chill the cookie sheets after each use.

TT, if you're making the recipe off the yellow bag of chips, the result WILL be a flat cookie. That''s the way they were originally. Nowadays, everyone seems to want cookies with height, and the only way to achieve this is by following Andy's BigChill" method!

Good Luck! :chef:

Thanks So Much! I've had the dough in the fridge for more than 3 hours...so we'll see how it works now!
From now on, should I use Margarine instead of Butter? Or maybe the Butter Flavored Crisco?

Nope - butter, butter and more butter! :) I'm a butter fan - no margerine or butsco in my house. Once chilled, use a small ice cream scoop to scoop out each cookie. That should help to give a thick chewy cookie too.

I always keep my chocolate chips in the freezer. In addition to chilling the dough, I find the frozen chips help the cookies to keep their shape.

And, yes, if you use the recipe that's on the chocolate chip bag, the cookies will be flat.

Welcome to DC. One ingredient I always use when baking chocolate chip cookies is regular butter. I never use the receipes off the chips bag.

Good luck - I am sure they will all turn out light and fluffy.

Katie E said:
I always keep my chocolate chips in the freezer. In addition to chilling the dough, I find the frozen chips help the cookies to keep their shape.

And, yes, if you use the recipe that's on the chocolate chip bag, the cookies will be flat.

What a great idea! TY!

Hello,

I too have had the flat cookie problem like "tator tot". I will try the chilling method that one of you suggested as well. But a question I have is if anyone would mind sharing their favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. The only one's I've ever used were off the chip bags. Thanks for everyone's ideas.

AS silly as this may seem, there is one other way to make them more puffy. Use baking powder rather than baking soda. The baking soda reacts only slightly with the egg white and creates very little leavening. The baking powder on the other hand, has the correct mixture of both the acid and alkalye to create a proper leavening.

I promise you that using double acting baking powder will give you a cookie that is lighter, and with all the flavor of the original recipe, even when using butter and not chilling.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom