Flat Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cindy lu

Assistant Cook
Can any one please tell me why my chocolate chip cookies are flat after baking. What an I doing wrong? Please help me.

First, always start with a cold baking sheet. If your dough is too soft, put it in the refrigerator for 15 or 20 minutes until it firms up. Check the recipe. Is it calling for an ungreased baking sheet and you are using a greased baking sheet? This will also cause your cookies to spread.

Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutess or so before baking. Keep it in the refrigerator between each batch. Use two pans, and alternate cooking between the two.

Have Fun!

Does not the baking powder/baking soda ratio make a big difference here? I thought these were important in getting the right amount of 'rise' out of your dough?

I always roll mine up into little balls of dough, then press slightly so they are just barely elongated but not flattened. Always works pretty good for me cause as they cook they flatten out, plus I get nice evenly round cookies that way.

Another thing to consider is the age of your leavening agent. Baking soda and baking powder definitely have a shelf life and replacing them is not expensive.

LL

Dough for chocolate chip cookies should be refrigerated for at least 24 hours and preferably 36 hours before baking. This is from a definitive article quoting professional cookie bakers in the New York Times. It works, too!

Dough for chocolate chip cookies should be refrigerated for at least 24 hours and preferably 36 hours before baking. This is from a definitive article quoting professional cookie bakers in the New York Times. It works, too!

No question refrigerating the dough is effective. However, the times you quote must be for very large quantities of dough. I get excellent results by refrigerating a single batch (about 6 dozen cookies) for an hour or two.

Yup. Probably are. I was citing the NYT article. I'm sure they're refering to a 100 dozen batch at least, if not more. The point , and you and I agree, is to refrigerate the dough to let the butter and the levening agent blend together to give more lift and less "run".

Back
Top Bottom