"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Florentine Cookies

These Florentine lace cookies turned out very well, I think, considering it was the first time I made them.

I looked at a lot of recipes. A lot of differences between (among?) them. I liked this recipe because it contained marmalade, which somehow appealed to me. The only almonds I had were roasted and salted. I tried to blanch them, but that didnít work real well. It did get rid of most of the salt though. Next time, Iím going to grind them a little finer. And I didnít drizzle them with chocolate, as it was getting close to 2am and I didnít have the patience. Instead, I spread the melted chocolate on the bottoms. The cookies need to be handled with care as they are very delicate. Mark couldnít stop eating them.

Tell me what you think!

Click image for larger version

Name:	723C9E95-AA0E-422E-B4A6-C8C3E2BD05AB.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	33042

Old 01-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Next time, I think I’d like to make them with pineapple marmalade, macadamia nuts, and coconut. PiŮa colada florentines!

Old 01-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I love those cookies Joel, but I'm sure not a baker. These are really good and as close as I'll ever have to homemade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lacy cookies.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	33043  

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
Sous Chef

They look great, Joel! I've always liked thin, crispy cookies, with that brown caramelized layer around the edges. I think screwed up with some recipe with my Christmas cookies, and, though I cut a recipe in half, I forgot to cut the sugar, so it made a cookie very thin, amd almost like candy. I have to experiment, to find out what I did wrong, so I can do it again!

I like the chocolate on the bottoms. I keep some dark Mercken's dipping chocolate on hand, just for things like this.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Cool beans, Joel.

I just found an unopened and recently past it's Best By date jar of marmalade in a cupboard. I need to use it before my wife discovers an "expired" container of something in the house.

Woe be it to they who harbor infidels that keep food past the stamp on the label.

I hope I can make these this Friday.

Thanks.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
Master Chef

Those look and sound delicious, Joel.

I have an old recipe from my cousin that I use to make 'lace' cookies almost every year around Christmas. I didn't this year, though. The recipe is at least 30 years old, and they're fun to make. It includes oatmeal and like yours, there is very little flour. One tsp of batter spreads out into about a 3 inch cookie, and the caramelization (if that's even a word ) almost makes it like a cross between a cookie and a candy.

Thanks for reminding me! I think I'll make these tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Cool beans, Joel.

I just found an unopened and recently past it's Best By date jar of marmalade in a cupboard. I need to use it before my wife discovers an "expired" container of something in the house.

Woe be it to they who harbor infidels that keep food past the stamp on the label.

I hope I can make these this Friday.

Thanks.
My younger daughter is the same way. If a food item gets within minutes of a 'stamped' date, it gets thrown out. LOL

Tags
cook, cookie, cookies