Freezing cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SillyOldBear

Assistant Cook
I like cookies. SO likes cookies - but only some of the time. He definitely doesn't have a sweet tooth like mine. Problem is, when I make a batch of cookies - they end up going stale before I can eat them all (I do have a limit..:-p So I thought about freezing them. Here's the question - is it better to freeze the raw dough, or is it better to freezed the baked cookie? I'm talking quality - not ease. Or does it depend on the cookie dough? Any ideas on which would last longer in the freezer? I have a vaccum sealer, so that should help with preservation.I thought making my own dough drops, and freezing them. But I wanted to get thoughts from those wiser than me. :angel:

Thank you!
SOB

We've never frozen cookie dough but SO freezes cookies all the time, especially around the holidays. She makes several different kinds and freezes them until needed for holiday plates for guests parties.

I've frozen cookies with good success. I lay them out on one of my heavy aluminum baking sheet and put them in the freezer until solid then bag them up OR if you have a vaccum sealer you can use that instead of a freezer bag.

We've been freezing baked cookies for years in ziplock bags with no probs, no odors picked up etc. Just let them come to room temp or zap them in the MW for a few seconds. Of course they don't last long enough in the freezer to acquire any problems!

Ok - cool - Thanks everyone! Sounds like freezing the baked cookies is the way to go. Are there any particular types that freeze better than others? For example - will a crispy cookie be crispy when thawed? Or should I stick with chewy moist cookies (or do they get soggy). Sorry for so many questions - I just hate to waste a batch of cookies.

Thanks!
SOB

I have frozen cookie dough lumps many times, nothing beats fresh baked cookies. I always have a quick dessert when guests come over.

As far as ease, freezing baked cookies would be the way to go.

Kids get wise to where the cookies are in the freezer, but you can thwart them by putting the cookies in a bag marked "LIVER". ;)

Back
Top Bottom