Gingerbread house recipes/suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Its that time of year again. My daugther wants to attempt to make a gingerbread house. Any good recipes out there and any other suggestions from those who have successfully accomplished making one ?

larry

only one i ever did came from a kit. and even that to me was a big pain. however they do come with instructions, house parts (walls etc) frosting, and candy to decorate it.

since they both would be to stale to eat. i hardly think it make a difference between ready formed and home baked.

I have a feeling its going to be one of those things where we both start making it, and about 10 minutes into it, she will leave and ill be stuck trying to finish it.

Do it in stages so it's not overwhelming for her. Do the plan on paper, find your recipe, make the dough, cut and bake it. Then when you are fresh, on another day, put it together and decorate.

only one i ever did came from a kit. and even that to me was a big pain. however they do come with instructions, house parts (walls etc) frosting, and candy to decorate it.

since they both would be to stale to eat. i hardly think it make a difference between ready formed and home baked.

thy will however eat the candy. sometimes after you put on the house. lol. :chef:

In Switzerland, all through December bakeries and homes are filled with the wonderful fragrances of “Guetzli,” the baking of
Christmas cookies. Here is one variation of a traditional cookie, the “Basler Brunsli.” The recipe is from Marianne
Kaltenbach, author of the “Aechti Schwizer Chuchi” cookbook.
Ingredients
1 lb ground almonds
1 lb powdered sugar
3 oz cocoa powder (or
1/2 lb grated semi-sweet
chocolate)
3 egg whites
2 tbsp Kirsch
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Method
Mix all ingredients. Roll out on a surface covered with sugar,
roll dough to about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out cookies
with a 2-inch cookies cutter (heart or star shaped) and transfer
onto baking pan lined with parchment paper. Let the formed
cookies stand for about two hours at room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake cookies for 5-6
minutes. Don’t bake them too long or they will become very hard.

That's pretty expensive cookie dough for a gingerbread house.
Try here:
gingerbread house cookie dough recipe - Google Search
and like I stated earlier, I would do it over several days so that it is not so daunting/fatiguing for your daughter. Keep the candy decorations off limits until the day you decorate, it will give her something to look forward to.

Some Christmas baking supplies from Nutsonline:
Product Name Packaging Qty. Total Lbs. Unit Price Total
Raw Hazelnuts) Filberts (No Shelly 5 Pound Bags 1 5 $8.24/lb $41.20
Organic_ Hazelnuts__(Raw,_No_Shell_). 5 Pound Bags 1 5 $10.66/lb $53.30
Glazed Orange Peel 1 Pound Containers 6 6 $4.84/lb $29.04
Glazed Diced Citron 1 Pound Containers 6 6 $4.55/lb $27.30
Subtotal: $150.84

this is not about a house, but tried to start new thread. didn't work for some reason.

i bought a gingerbread men , individual men cakes. am going to make a gingerbread bundt cake. anyone else have this pan? if so how did it work?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom