Greek Christmas Brandied Macaroons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boufa06

Executive Chef
Very soon, I will be making a big batch of these tempting melt-in-the-mouth macaroons. In the spirit of Christmas, I would like to share my mother-in-law's recipe with you.

MELOMAKARONA (Brandied Macaroons Dipped in Honey Syrup)

Ingredients:
8 cups (approx) plain flour
1 cup fine semolina
1-1/2 tbsps baking powder
1 tbsp baking soda
3 cups olive oil
3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brandy
1 tbsp orange rind
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp clove powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts & extra cinnamon powder for sprinkling

Syrup:
2 cups honey
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1/4 lemon juice

Method:
1. Mix sugar with olive oil in a bowl until it dissolves.
2. In a separate bowl, mix baking soda with orange juice.
3. In a large bowl, combine olive oil and orange juice mixtures with brandy, orange rind and spices, and mix well.
4. Add semolina, baking powder and enough flour to make it into a dough. Knead well until dough is no longer sticky.
5. Shape dough into oval shaped cookies, place them 2 inches apart on a greased baking pan and bake in the oven at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F for about 30 mins or until light brown.
6. Cool before dipping into the syrup.
7. To make syrup, put the sugar and water to boil for 10 minutes before adding honey and lemon juice. Keep warm uncovered over low heat. Immerse several cookies at a time into the simmering syrup for 2 mins. Remove with slotted spoon, drain on wire rack. Garnish with chopped walnuts and sprinkle cinnamon powder over them.

I'll vouch for these being DELICIOUS and one of the highlights of the Greek Christmas scene! And Boufa's recipe looks spot-on.

They also should be very much to American tastes I think (you know how some foreign food isn't?). They have a wonderful texture thanks to the semolina, and the syruping makes them break in your mouth in a ... oh, this is killing me (haven't made mine yet)(I lie -- I buy them!) ... most superb way!

Try 'em. I think you'll like 'em!

P.S. Try to make them on the small side and bake them until they're fairly crisp. I always failed at both, ending up with indelicately large ones which were too soft, so I admitted defeat finally!

Ayrton said:
I'll vouch for these being DELICIOUS and one of the highlights of the Greek Christmas scene! And Boufa's recipe looks spot-on.

They also should be very much to American tastes I think (you know how some foreign food isn't?). They have a wonderful texture thanks to the semolina, and the syruping makes them break in your mouth in a ... oh, this is killing me (haven't made mine yet)(I lie -- I buy them!) ... most superb way!

Try 'em. I think you'll like 'em!

P.S. Try to make them on the small side and bake them until they're fairly crisp. I always failed at both, ending up with indelicately large ones which were too soft, so I admitted defeat finally!

Thanks pal for the kind words! These melt-in-the mouth macaroons are indeed very yummy. Even though they take a bit of time to do, it will be worth the effort.

If you shape them in 2-inch ovals, you will get about 50-60 macaroons. They can be served immediately but the flavour improves if they are allowed to stand for at least 24 hours.

lol... I don't know anyone who can let cookies just sit for 24 hours...

I think it might just work. They are one of Paul's favorites. I've never made them myself but his mom and brother do a great job.

Back
Top Bottom