Greek Christmas Brandied Macaroons
Very soon, I will be making a big batch of these tempting melt-in-the-mouth macaroons. In the spirit of Christmas, I would like to share my mother-in-law's recipe with you.
MELOMAKARONA (Brandied Macaroons Dipped in Honey Syrup)
8 cups (approx) plain flour
1 cup fine semolina
1-1/2 tbsps baking powder
1 tbsp baking soda
3 cups olive oil
3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brandy
1 tbsp orange rind
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp clove powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts & extra cinnamon powder for sprinkling
2 cups honey
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1/4 lemon juice
1. Mix sugar with olive oil in a bowl until it dissolves.
2. In a separate bowl, mix baking soda with orange juice.
3. In a large bowl, combine olive oil and orange juice mixtures with brandy, orange rind and spices, and mix well.
4. Add semolina, baking powder and enough flour to make it into a dough. Knead well until dough is no longer sticky.
5. Shape dough into oval shaped cookies, place them 2 inches apart on a greased baking pan and bake in the oven at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F for about 30 mins or until light brown.
6. Cool before dipping into the syrup.
7. To make syrup, put the sugar and water to boil for 10 minutes before adding honey and lemon juice. Keep warm uncovered over low heat. Immerse several cookies at a time into the simmering syrup for 2 mins. Remove with slotted spoon, drain on wire rack. Garnish with chopped walnuts and sprinkle cinnamon powder over them.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!