Halloween Ginger Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somebunny

Executive Chef
My mother in law always called these ginger cookies "halloween cookies" I'm not sure why, except that she usually made them in fall. At any rate they are a family favorite.

2C sifted AP flour
2tsp. Baking soda
1tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Cloves
1 T. Ginger *
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4C shortening
1C granulated sugar
1egg
1/4C molasses
Sugar for rolling

Sift dry ingredients together. In another bowl mix shortening, sugar, egg and molasses. Add the dry ingredients, blend well. Chill dough. Mold into 1" balls, roll in sugar and place greased or non stick cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes, until flat and tops are cracked.

*note.... I have increased the amout of ginger for our preferece. Original recipe calls for only 1/2 tsp. of ginger. (how can this be?). :)

yes, thanks, sb. i have always been partial to ginger cookies. you can bet i'll be using duck fat for my shortening in this recipe. duck fat adds an overlay of richness and flavor to ginger cookies (and probably other cookies as well) that is indescribably delicious....:)

*note.... I have increased the amout of ginger for our preferece. Original recipe calls for only 1/2 tsp. of ginger. (how can this be?). :)

It can be! In our house we always decreased the amount of ground ginger in any recipe and were happy as clams at high tide. I have to say I almost gagged at the thought of 1 TABLESPOON of ginger in the recipe. 1/2 teaspoon sounds like our speed. That's still plenty of ginger flavor. ;)

Anything gingery and cookie like is right up my street. I love the autumn and these sound very suitable.

I have been using almost that same recipe for years! It came from a Better Homes and Gardens binder cookbook. The only difference between that recipe and the one I'm using is the amount of flour mine calls for just 2 cups, Oh and mine calls for 1 tsp ginger. But everything else is the same. They come out nice and chewy and crackled on top.

I love ginger cookies! I like adding diced candied ginger, but some of my relatives think the candied ginger is too strong for their tastes.

It can be! In our house we always decreased the amount of ground ginger in any recipe and were happy as clams at high tide. I have to say I almost gagged at the thought of 1 TABLESPOON of ginger in the recipe. 1/2 teaspoon sounds like our speed. That's still plenty of ginger flavor. ;)

we have always cut the amounts of ginger in ginger cookie and gingerbread recipes as a matter of course, as we prefer the ginger flavor to be a subtle one. however, this is a very personal preference--most store-bought ginger cookies, snaps and breads, have very distinctly sharp ginger flavorings. 1/2 teasp. ginger for this cookie recipe will most likely be just right for our mild tastes. i will also top each cookie with 1/2 walnut meat--mmmm.:)

chocotuile said:
I love ginger cookies! I like adding diced candied ginger, but some of my relatives think the candied ginger is too strong for their tastes.

Me too Choc! I add candied ginger sometimes too. I like my ginger cookies hot and spicy! Sorry June, for evoking your gag reflex! ;-)

And, I've got some some vodka being infused with ginger...gonna have to use that as ginger extract in the Christmas batch of ginger cookies...

Back
Top Bottom