"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-21-2003, 11:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

High elevation help!

:? HELP!
I bought a new house in August - at 3000 foot elevation. Almost none of my Christmas cookies and candies are coming out right! I don't have any instructions for alterations and most pre-made packages list high elevation directions at 3500 feet. Does anyone have suggestions or recipes for easy and quick Christmas treats? I'd really like to have a peanut brittle recipe, choc. chip cookie and divinity. None of these things are coming out right with my old directions! Thanks

Old 12-22-2003, 08:16 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Desiree
Typically at your elevatin the only adjustment you would have to make would be to extend your cooking time by about 10 percent. If you let us know the specific problems, we might be of more help. KitchenElf lives in the mountains and can proob give you better info.

Old 12-22-2003, 11:10 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Baking tips for higher elevations...

Hahahahahahahaha - maybe that's why I hate baking - I haven't adjusted any of my recipes!!!!!!!!!! Here is something to go by -
  • -decreasing sugar by about 1 tablespoon for every 2000 feet of elevation.
    -increasing liquid by about 1 tablespoon for every 2000 feet of elevation.
    -increasing cake flour by about1 tablespoon for every 2000 feet of elevation starting after 2000 feet.
    -increasing the baking temperature about 3 degrees farenheit for every 1000 feet of elevation.
    -reducing the leavening agent by about one-fourth of the original measurement for every 2000 feet of elevation.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:49 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the help. Specifically, any recipe that calls for butter doesn't rise. My choc. chip cookies look like pancakes and the recipe is my great grandmother's -who passed on several years ago (she could have solved this for me, I'm sure!) My fudge looks like choc. syrup and my divinity looks like sticky taffy. I've added, taken away, changed temps, increased fulid, decreased fluids - you name it. The problem is that I am "playing" with all of these alterations in each recipe because I don't know which improvement is going to work with which recipe. Kitchenelf has some great tips - but again they aren't recipe specific. Any help with specifics? I'm a great cook - as long as someone tells me exactly what to do or it comes from a great box!
Old 12-25-2003, 02:54 AM   #5
DC Grandma

Elevation?

Kitchenelf, when did they put Hickory in the mountains?
Dove
Old 12-26-2003, 06:26 PM   #6
Cook

Wow, I'd be lost with that problem. Here's a link from Colorado - maybe there will be something more specific on there. good luck - I never realized that could really be such a problem! I read the altitude directions on packages and always wondered why!?!?! :oops: Anyway, here's that link:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/co.../nn030714.html
Old 12-27-2003, 12:49 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
LOL Dove - We're right on the edge of the Foothills, beginning the Piedmont. More in the mountains that Bubba that's for sure!!!

I've lost my mind Dove - I'm telling you about Hickory like you've never been here before!!! LOL If you think about the Eastern part of the state I would consider Hickory in the mountains too probably.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 06:10 AM   #8
Senior Cook

KitchenElf;
I have ALWAYS considered Hickory to be in the mountains! At least it looks like it is to me.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:24 PM   #9
DC Grandma

North Carolina

Having lived in Ca. most of my life except when my other half was in service, N.C.is the most beautiful state and so is Tenn.Since retirement we do a lor of R.V. travel. We have been in all but the 6 most northern states of the east coast. I would love to see New England in the fall. The Smokies are breathtaking in Oct. My first visit to Hickory and my husband's family was in 1954 and I did feel like we were in the mountains, so many trees and so many friendly peaple.If it wasn't for the humidity I would love to live thare.
LOL Dove

Tags
None