How do you make cookies more chewy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobnjoytoo

Assistant Cook
:( How do you make cookies more chewy? Do you bake them for a shorter period of time or do you change the ingredients in any way?

If I want to make a chewy cookie I look for a recipe that is a chewy cookie recipe.There are many out there. Baking longer or shorter periods of time don't do it. They will be under baked or burned.

I don't like chewy cookie. Sorry can't help it!Love crunchy cookie but no idea how to prepare them crunchy.Someone help. crash !...boom!...bang!......crackle!Mmmmmmmmm

I just figured out that by adding vanilla pudding in whatever cookie dough you choose to make will make them soft and chewy and mmmm...so moist. Try it and see for yourself. I just did and oooooh, they're so delicious, soft and chewy. Good luck. Here's the recipe I used, by the way.

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 cups butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.

Last edited:
The amount of fat and sugar in a cookie dramatically affect the texture. Chewy cookies have more sugar in the recipe than do flufier cookies. Another important consideration is the amount of leavening agent added to the recipe. If you add additional baking powder to the original Nestle's Toll-House cookie recipe, the cookie will be drier, rise much higher, and become more cake-like. And again with the Toll-House reicpe, the chewyness/crispness depends on the amount of time in the oven. Longer cooking time, and we're not talking more than a few short minutes here, will make the cookies crispy instead of chewy. My wife loves chewy, so I cook them about eight minutes a sheet, and then start checking to see if they are done. They should be soft in the oven, but with the edges just starting to brown. And they have to be removed immediately from the cookie sheet and onto parchment paper, or paper towels to cool.

Of course, higher fat and flour cookies will always be more crunchy. Think short bread, with its soft crunch, or vanilla wafers. They can be soft, but will never be chewy.

To understand the concept, think about what happens to sugar as it is first dissolved in water and milk, and then cooked to above-=boiling point temperatures. It first turns syrupy, then into a soft caramel, and then to a firm caramel, and finally into a brittle. The same is true of the sugar in cookies, at least ones with sufficient sugar in them.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I just read an article in a cooking magazine I get that says if you melt your butter before adding the sugar your cookies will be chewier and softer. It has worked on every recipe I have tried. I think it has something to do with the amount of air you put in when you cream the butter and sugar. If the butter is melted then less air gets in = less crispiness.

Back
Top Bottom