How to store cookies that are glazed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bananaboat

Assistant Cook
Hi guys, I am new here, and having an emergency!

I'm making cut out sugar cookies and I was going to glaze them with a recipe that is a "copy cat" of a glazed sugar cookie I used to get at the grocery store bakery in the state I used to live in...

My problem is how to store the cookies after they are glazed...The store I used to get the cookies at never had them in a fridge, but the glaze is made of powdered sugar, milk, karo syrup and almond or vanilla extract. It's a simple glaze but I never thought about storage and I am making these cookies for 100 people so I don't want to glaze them tonight and leave them to harden and then make 100 people sick.

Do they need to go in the fridge after glazing? The recipe says it takes about 4 hours to harden so that you are able to stack without smudging. Will refrigerating make the cookies lose texture or taste?

Thanks in advance guys! I'm excited to join the community, I definitely need new recipes and to learn more about cooking-my husband and I are ready to change our whole eating lifestyle and eating in is something we want to do more of!

You don't need to refrigerate them to keep the glaze safe for eating. The milk part is preserved from souring by the sugar and by the drying, Spread 'em out overnight and pack them tomorrow.

Yeah I made about 300 similar type cookies around Christmas time that I had to leave out overnight to fully "set"....no problems with the cookies or the topping going bad and making anybody sick. The only problem I had was keeping my cats from eating them. I learned that lesson the hard way. :ermm:

Yeah I made about 300 similar type cookies around Christmas time that I had to leave out overnight to fully "set"....no problems with the cookies or the topping going bad and making anybody sick. The only problem I had was keeping my cats from eating them. I learned that lesson the hard way. :ermm:

cmarchibald,
After reading several of your posts, it sounds like those cats are out of control!!!:ROFLMAO::LOL: Just kidding, my cat used to love to steel the bacon grease from a pan as soon as it cooled! The dogs would steel anything out of the garbage if they had the chance!

And...bananaboat, welcome. Enjoy those cookies. I just stack them in the cookie jar after an overnight drying!

cmarchibald,
After reading several of your posts, it sounds like those cats are out of control!!!:ROFLMAO::LOL: Just kidding, my cat used to love to steel the bacon grease from a pan as soon as it cooled! The dogs would steel anything out of the garbage if they had the chance!
If ONLY you knew......the animals are definitely running this zoo.

You want a real kicker? My cats love human food, but when it comes to pet food they prefer the taste of the dog food. The dog, meanwhile, goes bananas over the cat's food. I can still get them to eat the appropriate foods, but.....my dog is a rescue, he's pretty sick and on lots of meds at the moment....the only way I can get him to take his medicine willingly is to squish it up in a ball of cat food and present it as a treat. His tail starts moving 90mph every time he sees the yellow can. :LOL:

Good luck on those cookies!

If ONLY you knew......the animals are definitely running this zoo.

You want a real kicker? My cats love human food, but when it comes to pet food they prefer the taste of the dog food. The dog, meanwhile, goes bananas over the cat's food. I can still get them to eat the appropriate foods, but.....my dog is a rescue, he's pretty sick and on lots of meds at the moment....the only way I can get him to take his medicine willingly is to squish it up in a ball of cat food and present it as a treat. His tail starts moving 90mph every time he sees the yellow can. :LOL:

Good luck on those cookies!

A dog with fish breath!:( I hope the dog feels better soon! It is always hard to have pets not feeling well. They are important members of the family! WOW...I guess we are off the cookie subject! OOPS! Oh look...I think my dog wants a cookie...

Back
Top Bottom