IMO the Nestle Toll House recipe is the best.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Arthur

I guess its a matter of personal taste, as always. I really, really love one of the KA's choc. chip cookie recipes, and it is the one that gets the most requests when I am baking.

no, i havent. send a link?

Neiman-Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 Lb Unsalted Butter - softened
2 C Sugar
2 C Light Brown Sugar
4 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
5 C Oatmeal
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
4 C Sifted Flour
1 tsp Salt
24 Oz Chocolate Chips
8 Oz Milk Chocolate, grated (Grates more easily if frozen)
3 C Chopped Walnuts

Cream the butter and sugars together.

Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.

Blend the oatmeal to a fine powder in a blender or food processor. Combine with the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Combine this mixture with the previous mixture.

Add in the chocolates and the nuts.

Place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 13 minutes at 375º F

For best results, the dough should be chilled for 30 minutes before starting and kept in the refrigerator between uses.

The cookie sheets should go in the freezer between trips to the oven.

Makes approximately 112 cookies

if you want soft batch chocolate chip cookies, make the toll house recipe and add 1 package jello vanilla pudding mix. they will stay soft, and the flavor is excellent.

Do you substitute the pudding mix for something else, or just add it in on top of the rest? I'm always interested in tips for softer cookies!

I quit making my own chocolate chip cookies a long time ago. It seems that, although the recipe says "makes six dozen cookies", there would only be about a dozen in the cookie jar. :whistling

Cherry, I'm pretty sure you just add it to the other ingredients. I, personally, would reduce the sugar in the recipe if I added instant pudding. I don't like my cookies overly sweet.

if you want soft batch chocolate chip cookies, make the toll house recipe and add 1 package jello vanilla pudding mix. they will stay soft, and the flavor is excellent.

My Toll-House cookies always come out soft and chewey. but you have to remove them from the oven while the tops are still just a wee bit shiney. then they are soft. If you cook them longer, they crispy up. I cook mine for between 8 and 9 minutes, I think.

another trick for making them soft is to add a a half-cup more flour to the recipe, along with 2 tsp. baking powder. Then they become more cake-like, but not as much as a "Nilla Wafer".

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Update!

I tried the vanilla pudding trick. It worked perfectly! I did reduce the sugar and omit the vanilla extract. The recipe calls for 3/4 EACH of brown and white sugar, so I used only the brown. I left out the vanilla because the pudding mix had already added its own vanilla flavor.

I baked the cookies for 7 minutes (seems a little low since the recipe specifies 9-11, but I think my oven temp has always been on the high side) and they came out exactly as I wanted them. Golden brown on the bottom and just the slightest bit lighter on top. They were also exceptionally soft. When I tried to make soft cookies using the original recipe, I always relied on taking them out of the oven before they had baked through fully and letting them finish on the sheet outside the oven. They came out soft, but more often than not they were almost raw. Not good. With this little instant pudding trick, however, they came out perfectly soft and fully cooked. I count this as a win :)

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Last edited:
I make my tollhouse with some modifications. We like them a little softer (and less flat) but I don't want to alter the taste too much. Instead of all butter I use 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening, I substract 1 tab sugar and sub it with one extra tab brown sugar. Lastly, I add a rounded tab of flour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom