In Search for a Soft Molasses and Oatmeal Cookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I have'nt made molasses cookies in a quite sometime, After going to the Amish Market and purchase some of thier molasses cookies, got me in the mood for them. But now going to make them I have lost my recipe.

Looking for Molasses Cookie that stays soft. The one I had was great all most cake like.
Also a Elderly friend looking for a soft Oatmeal Rasin Cookie. I didn't have one as their not my favorite but told him I would try to locate one for him.

Thank you in advance to all

Letscook, the molasses ones sound delicious.

Try these two sites:

http://www.amishshop.com/hazel-doc/...serts/cookiebarstarts/softmolassescookies.htm

(when I tried to check link after posting, it wouldn't work, so I'll type again leaving the dot (.) out after www. If you type it out with dot, it should be ok.)
http://www amishshop.com/hazel-doc/amishcooking recipes/desserts/cookiebarstarts/softmolassescookies.htm

or,

Soft Molasses Cookies Recipe | Recipezaar

I think I'll keep these and try when the weather cools in a couple of months, too.

Oatmeal not too fond of either.

Here is the molasses cookie recipe I always use. It makes great cookies.

SOFT AND CHEWY MOLASSES COOKIES

NOTES: Measure the molasses in a liquid measuring cup. If you find that the dough sticks to your palms as you shape the balls, moisten your hands occasionally in a bowl filled with cold water and shake off the excess. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time. If baked two sheets at a time, the cookies started on the bottom rack won’t develop the attractive cracks. The cookies should look slightly raw and underbaked when removed from the oven. If you plan to glaze the cookies (see recipe below), save the parchment paper used to bake them.
INGREDIENTS

1/3 cup granulated sugar (about 2 1/2 ounces), plus 1/2 cup for dipping
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (11 1/4 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon table salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened but still cool
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar (about 2 1/2 ounces)
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup molasses (about 6 ounces), light or dark

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place 1/2 cup sugar for dipping in 8- or 9-inch cake pan.

2. Whisk flour, baking soda, spices, and salt in medium bowl until thoroughly combined; set aside.

3. In standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter with brown and granulated sugars at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and add yolk and vanilla; increase speed to medium and beat until incorporated, about 20 seconds. Reduce speed to medium-low and add molasses; beat until fully incorporated, about 20 seconds, scraping bottom and sides of bowl once with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to lowest setting; add flour mixture and beat until just incorporated, about 30 seconds, scraping bowl down once. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no pockets of flour remain at bottom. Dough will be soft.

4. Using tablespoon measure, scoop heaping tablespoon of dough and roll between palms into 1 1/2-inch ball; drop ball into cake pan with sugar and repeat to form about 4 balls. Toss balls in sugar to coat and set on prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies are browned, still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone), about 11 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Do not overbake.

5. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes, then use wide metal spatula to transfer cookies to wire rack; cool cookies to room temperature and serve. (Can be stored at room temperature in airtight container or zipper-lock plastic bag up to 5 days.)

Old Fashioned Drop Molasses Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
1 egg
1 cup canola oil
1 cup sour milk
4 teaspoons soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ginger
4 cups of flour...enough to make a stiff batter (41/2-5 cups)

Have ingredients at room temperature. Cream sugar and oil Add egg,molasses, sour milk. Beat well. Add flour,soda,ginger ,salt.

Drop by tablespoon on parchment sheet. Bake 400 hot oven..9-10 minutes. Makes about 4 dozen. Don't press-just drop. Enjoy Aria

Letscook, you can usually soften cookies by placing them in an airtight container along with a slice of fresh bread or 1/4 apple and leave for a few days. It will usually soften them up.

Letscook, I finally bit the bullet & turned on the oven in the early morning & made the molasses cookies from the recipe from Recipezaar, yesterday.
Followed it to a T, even pulling out my cookie press to make the shape shown in the pic. They were/are delicious. However, I don't know what I did wrong, but they didn't come out soft and cake-like. They aren't super crunchy, but are by no means soft. The only thing maybe is I didn't press more dough to make them more puffy?
I don't know. But I wound up with a ton for just me, so I took 1/2 a ton over to my father's. He called last night to say they WERE (not ARE) delicious.

I think I'll try the other recipe next time and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom