"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Not all shortening is hydrogenated. Spectrum Organics and Jungle brand Beyond Organic shortening are both palm or a palm blend and non-hydrogenated, trans-fat free shortenings.

Oops, forgot to add I always sub 1:1, though some do less.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

don't think I should have sub'd butter for shortening

I substituted butter for shortening in a cookie recipe, think it was a mistake! Recipe called for white choc & shortening to be melted and cooled cookie dipped in it. Well, choc was supposed to set, but it didn't so I put cookies in fridge. It set! BUT then I took cookies out of fridge and choc melted :(

Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
Master Chef

Butter has a lower melting point than does lard or shortening. Butter, as has already been mentioned, contains milk solids, and water. For things like pie crust, lard is a natural choice that produces a superior product. Also, it has less cholesterol than butter.

What happens with butter in a pie crust is that after it is added to the flour, if the flour is worked too much, the gluten can develop as the water reacts with the wheat protein. Also, when the crust begins to cook, the butter will melt before the dough starts to set into a solid, resulting in the top of the crust sides collapsing toward the pie center. I found that out the hard way.

Some cookies are meant to spread out into a gooey, flat cookie, such as Nestle's Toll House cookie. Other, more cake-like cookies can benefit from butter's rich favor, such as shortbread or shortbread cookies.

The only problem I have with lard is that it's hard to find in pure form.

Butter and lard are the go to fats in my house, and olive oil. I hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None