"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO best peanut butter for cookies

What is your favorite peanut butter for cookies?

I was hoping to find a natural peanut butter that is reasonably priced for baking cookies regularly. I just bought a large jar of Whole Foods Creamy (ingredients: peanut butter, salt), but its consistency is way too oily even after pouring oil off the top, stirring, and refrigerating. I love Smuckers on sandwiches, but I haven't found it in bulk. Maybe there's another brand that would work?

kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:59 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Not knowing where you live, in my part of the country, we have over in the next town to where I live, Teddie Peanut Butter Company. When I get into the peanut butter cookie mood, I always buy it by the pail. It is all natural, like what you have already found. Peanuts, salt. That's it. Ask what it would cost to ship to your address and if they sell the pail or bucket in your area. They have gone national in the past couple of years. At one time it was mostly New England and a little bit further south.

BTW, it may take some extra work, but you don't want to be pouring out all of the oil when used for baking. Stir it until your arm falls off. I also have a lid that fits on just about all peanut butter jars on the market. It has a stirrer attached to it.

You can find the stirrer on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_1y0l3jgamo_e

I store mine upside down, so that when I do want to use it, I turn it right side up and all the oil is now at the bottom. Wait five minutes, and slowly the oil mixes itself as it tries to rise to the top again. Makes mixing it a lot easier. By losing the oil, you cookies will come out really dry.

You can contact Teddie Peanut Butter Company here:

Address: 100 Santilli Hwy, Everett, MA 02149
Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 7AM
Phone: (617) 389-2600
Number of employees: 70~
Founder: Michael Hintlian
Founded: 1924 in Massachusetts, United States

Just one more thing. Teddie gets 4 1/2 stars on the majority of their reviews. I don't even consider buying any other brand.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:52 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Addie, before you urge someone to buy Teddie PB by the bucketful, at least give them the chance to try it by the jar. I've tried to like Teddie, but to my taste buds, it can't hold a candle to Smuckers. I've tried every brand that offers just "peanuts and salt" and haven't found anything as good as Smuckers. I'm going to guess that if kitchengoddess8 loves Smuckers in sandwiches, she might not prefer Teddie's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
...I love Smuckers on sandwiches, but I haven't found it in bulk. Maybe there's another brand that would work?
Smuckers has been my choice for decades. I tried the Whole Foods that they sell in bulk - overrated in my opinion. I had been buying tub peanut butter by Hampton Farms (a peanut grower in Virginia) when I couldn't find Smuckers, but the stores now offer a new, changed product and it has all kinds of additives. Yuck.

If you have a farmers market or large city market like West Side Market in Cleveland near you, you should be able to find a vendor that will cut you a deal on a large order of PB. That is if you like what they offer! I know the fresh-made peanut butter at West Side Market is pretty yummy.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:

I was hoping to find a natural peanut butter that is reasonably priced for baking cookies regularly. I just bought a large jar of Whole Foods Creamy (ingredients: peanut butter, salt), but its consistency is way too oily even after pouring oil off the top, stirring, and refrigerating. I love Smuckers on sandwiches, but I haven't found it in bulk. Maybe there's another brand that would work?
Actually, it really doesn't seem to matter in our house. I generally use the "house" brand of peanut butter with no ill results. The cookies vanish no matter what.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:

Mmmm....we love peanut butter cookies! I usually just buy Skippy or Jif, and use whichever I have on hand. My family doesn't care, as long as there are the criss cross patterns on top of the cookies.

I don't buy the kind that you have to stir the oil back in - my grandson has peanut butter and celery for a snack every day after school, and I don't want to stir it every day....
Old 05-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Cheryl, I recently read that if you stir it well, then store it in the refrigerator, the oil doesn't separate and migrate back to the top. I haven't tried that, though. One of us is into the Smuckers jar once or twice a week; it seems to stay emulsified for us.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Thank you all for responding to my post! I may be able to find a jar of Teddie locally. I agree thatís best to try a jar before buying large amounts. Amazon has good prices on Smuckers but their subscribe and save program does not ship as quickly as I would like even as a Prime member.

The peanut butter stirrer Addie posted a link to might make a big difference! If anyone else has any tools or tips that work for them, please post them
Old 05-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Smuckers has been my choice for decades. I tried the Whole Foods that they sell in bulk - overrated in my opinion. I had been buying tub peanut butter by Hampton Farms (a peanut grower in Virginia) when I couldn't find Smuckers, but the stores now offer a new, changed product and it has all kinds of additives. Yuck.

Iím glad you shared your reaction to the Whole Foods 365 brand. IMO itís not the same quality as Smuckers and is definitely overrated! Iím returning it to the store.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I buy Jif crunchy for peanut butter cookies. Peanuts and salt. I like the texture of the peanuts.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Cheryl, I recently read that if you stir it well, then store it in the refrigerator, the oil doesn't separate and migrate back to the top. I haven't tried that, though. One of us is into the Smuckers jar once or twice a week; it seems to stay emulsified for us.
Good to know CG...I may move out of my PB comfort zone and give it a try again. Knowing me though, I would forget to take it out of the fridge, then be stuck with cold PB when I have the hankerin' for it.

Tags
butter, cook, cookie, cookies, other, peanut butter