ISO cookie recipe that will shut up the church ladies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
I volunteered to make cookies for a social event at my church. I stopped in today to get some details as to what they were looking for and thats when the whole thing got out of hand.

First, let me paint a picture of myself. I'm 6'1", about 215#. I haven't cut my hair since the fall of 1996. Oh yeah, and I've grown a set of "chops" (sideburns) that Elvis himself would envy. The only shoes I own are Converse all-stars (canvas Chucks), and unless its well below zero, I always wear shorts.

The first thing the kindly old lady asked was "will your wife be making the cookies?" and when I said no, I'd be doing it, she rolled her eyes, and handed me a set of guidelines. As I walked away, she mentioned that there are some "very nice cookies" available at the local supermarket!!!!

Now. I'm no chef, but I do make some pretty :censored: good cookies!! What I'm looking for, is a recipe for a cookie (or bar) that will make her eat her words. Something a little different, but the "one" that will have them all talking. I don't care about the degree of difficulty-I'll throw away a hundred batches just to make a point (I'm hard headed that way)

So, my fellow DC'ers-any suggestions??? I've got a week!!!

Can you break it down a little more, ie, are you looking for very decadent deep rich chocolatey type cookies or non chocolatey ones? I have tons of great recipes, but need some guidelines.
Meanwhile, I'll post a link to one of my favorites - these are positively addictive (Note: I used 1 cup creamy peanut butter instead of the 3/4 cup listed, plus I used lightly salted natural peanut butter instead of the processed type, although the commercial/processed brands are usually recommended. For the chocolate chips, I used Ghirardelli semi-sweet. Also, I preferred dropping them by rounded Tbsp instead of tsp - they were thicker and moister):
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe | Recipezaar

Amazing peanut butter cookies, and vanilla no-bake cookies

Amazing Peanut Butter Cookies
There is no flour in this recipe. The sugar carmelizes, that is, thickens as it bakes to give the cookies body. The result is a very good cookie with amazing flavor. These take longer to bake than do regular peanut butter cookies. Play with the timing a bit to get the cookie done to your liking with your equipment. Recipe is courtesy of my youngest daughter's Mother-In-Law, a very sweet lady.

1 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 350' F.
Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Place by heaping tbs. onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. I would recomend placing one cookie in the oven as a test cookie, and then adjusting the cooking time accordingly. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes, or about 3 minutes after the sheen is gone from the sugar. Let cool and test.

Vanilla No-Bake Cookies
These are made just like chocolate no-bake cookies and come out wonderful. The first time I made these, it was an accident. They were the result of a happy mistake. Here's the recipe and technique. Enjoy.

3 egg yolks
1 tbs. water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut

Beat the egg yolks, sugar, water, and extract together. Place in a saucepan and simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Quickly stir in the nuts and coconut. Remove from heat. Drop by tbs. onto waxed or parchment paper and let cool. It's that easy. Enjoy.

And I know what you mean by those ladies who don't believe that a man can cook. We had a church bazaar and bread was sold to the public. I gathered together several men and taught them to make bread. We made about 7 or eight loaves, and they came out very good. Now I've won competitions at that same church for bread-making. But the ladies wouldn't sell out bread, and acted like it wasn't good enough. We also put the women at a church girls camp to shame as camp cooks one year. Teh women acted like we had no business cooking there. The girls (about 150 of them) said it was the best food they had ever had at camp. Many said they wished they could get food like we served them at home. They even made us a special plaque for our efforts. We weren't invited back by the women organizers the next year.

I don't look down my nose at women doing the same job as me in the work place, and I don't care for those women who think that men have no business in the kitchen. That's why I hang out here. Our gracious gals are as fair as can be. We are all equals on DC.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

LOL SK!!! I'm no baker...so I have to submit to the pros.... wish you success my friend!!!!

Smoke King - I got a mini taste of what happened to you this summer. A family friend was over for the day, we were having a yard sale. She brought her nephue. He is about 7, maybe 8. It was wicked hot. I wan not gifted with tha patience to sit all day and wait for people. I busied myself with set up / moving things around putting up posters, things like that. I also made suer that DW and our friend, also female, had cold drinks and lunch. In the midst of making lunch the 7 year old, male, asked me why I am so feminine. He added that food preperation was women's work. It was sad to see children being raised that way.

If I had a killer cookie recipie, I would give it to you. I wish you success. BTW, any of the recipies you have gotten so far DO seem killer.
AC

This is a super easy recipe. But it is an unusual texture and taste, and a big hit whenever I make it. The original recipe calls for a box of spice cake mix, but it wasn't available when I made it the first time. I have since used:

chocolate cake mix (delish)
Carrot cake mix (awesome)
gingerbread mix (great, with a little ginger "bite")

I understand it's also really good with a lemon cake mix.

Ok, here's all you need:

One big can of pumpkin
One box of ANY cake mix.

Mix together. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. (I sprayed or used non stick pans.) Bake at 350 for about 15-20 mins. Cool on a rack.

That's all. They will be very moist and soft.

Buy a box of Quaker Oatmeal....Look under the lid, and make the Oatmeal raisin cookie....Or like me leave the rasins out....Easy, and delicious....

Another version of cake mix cookies that I have found to be a huge and easy hit!

box of deep chocolate cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
chocolate chips (I never measure)

whisk together all ingredients and drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets (I use various small ice cream scoops depending on the size of cookie I want as they come out really round and even). Bake at 350 for about 8 - 10 minutes. Don't overbake or the chocolate will "burn" and they will be hard.

LOL smokeking - I have a feeling you are going to make the church lady eat her words (no pun intended!)

I recommend these bar cookies:

Oatmeal Carmelitas recipe

Every time I make these, people rave. And they won the Pillsbury Bake Off back in the day.

smoke king I knew there is a reason why i liked you right off the bat. lol

Im dress comfy, keep it easy, short all year (no matter what the temp) t shirts, laid back and easy.

as a proclaimed cookie master...

you can make the perfect Chocolate chip cookie, chewy, crunchy and light yet dense. flat out perfect.

Toll house recipe. use dark brown sugar, kosher salt (just a big pinch) dont over cream at first. just mix the butter so it starts to coat the bowl in some spots. then add the sugars and mix until together and then a bit longer. add the egg and vanilla. mix till combined. sift the flour right into the mix. the salt willnt go threw so just dump it in. but sift the flour in at least 2 seperate installments.

those are my secrets and i cant believe im telling them,

I could ive you my recipe for chocolate cherry white chocolate chip cookies. a guy i work with calls it a starbucks type cookie. i guess becuase he thinks i should try to sell it to them.

there are PB ball and Oreo balls that are alwasy awesome.

You guys/gals are the absolute best!! With so many yummy choices so far, its going to be hard to narrow it down!!

I will keep you posted-this is going to be fun!!:LOL:

Cherry Chocolate Chunk Cookies

2 1/2 C Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 C Butter, softened
1 1/4 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 C Cherry Pie Filling
1 C Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 C Walnuts - coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a small mixing bowl.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar until lightly fluffy, about one minute.

Add the eggs one at a time and beat for 30 seconds after each addition. Add the almond extract and continue to beat until well blended. About 20 seconds.

Add the dry ingredients a quarter at a time, beating after each addition until well mixed, about 40 seconds.

Add the pie filling, chips and nuts. Mix until just blended.

Drop the dough in rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 9-11 minutes.

Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet then remove to a wire rack.

For something a little different, these cookies that look like hamburgers.

Hamburger Cookies

80 ‘Nilla Wafers for the buns (2 boxes)
40 Keebler Grasshopper Cookies for the burgers (1 pkg.)
1 Tube Red Frosting for the ketchup
1 Tube Yellow Frosting for the mustard
4 Oz. Shredded Coconut for the lettuce
Green Food Coloring for the coconut
Honey to be used as glue
Ground nuts or sesame seeds

Start with a ‘Nilla Wafer for the bottom bun.

Stick the Grasshopper cookie to the “bun” with a dab of honey.

On opposite edges of the “burger”, put dabs of red and yellow frosting.

Color the coconut with the green food coloring.

Sprinkle the colored coconut on top of the “burger”

Top with another ‘Nilla Wafer, using another dab of honey.

Press the wafer down onto the burger so the red and yellow frostings ooze out to the edges of the burger.

Lightly coat the top of the bun with honey and sprinkle the ground nuts or sesame seeds.

Make these a day ahead to allow time for the honey to dry.

Makes 40 Hamburgers

Ghetto, would you please post the recipe for Oreo Balls?

(aaaaaand I'm feeding you yet another one, BT!)

Seriously, Ghetto, I love Oreos, so would like to know your recipe.

Thanks!:)

Lee

These will knock them out of their orthopedic shoes, smokey.
They look like nice, chocolate cookies, but after one bite, you'll think Martha Stewart had dropped them off. Here's what I said about them after the first time I'd made them: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/corazons-chocolate-orange-cookies-are-fantastic-48706.html

Here's my photo
img_687669_0_b94d25a089a5355f7151a7af89ab970f.jpg

Corazon's Double Chocolate Orange Cookies

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup Cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups (11.5-oz. pkg.) chocolate chips
  • zest & juice of one large orange
Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350º F.

COMBINE flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl until creamy. Add orange juice and zest mixing until well incorporated. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chunks. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until cookies are puffed and centers are set but still soft. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Amazing Peanut Butter Cookies
There is no flour in this recipe. The sugar carmelizes, that is, thickens as it bakes to give the cookies body. The result is a very good cookie with amazing flavor. These take longer to bake than do regular peanut butter cookies. Play with the timing a bit to get the cookie done to your liking with your equipment. Recipe is courtesy of my youngest daughter's Mother-In-Law, a very sweet lady.

1 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 350' F.
Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Place by heaping tbs. onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. I would recomend placing one cookie in the oven as a test cookie, and then adjusting the cooking time accordingly. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes, or about 3 minutes after the sheen is gone from the sugar. Let cool and test.

Vanilla No-Bake Cookies
These are made just like chocolate no-bake cookies and come out wonderful. The first time I made these, it was an accident. They were the result of a happy mistake. Here's the recipe and technique. Enjoy.

3 egg yolks
1 tbs. water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut

Beat the egg yolks, sugar, water, and extract together. Place in a saucepan and simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Quickly stir in the nuts and coconut. Remove from heat. Drop by tbs. onto waxed or parchment paper and let cool. It's that easy. Enjoy.

And I know what you mean by those ladies who don't believe that a man can cook. We had a church bazaar and bread was sold to the public. I gathered together several men and taught them to make bread. We made about 7 or eight loaves, and they came out very good. Now I've won competitions at that same church for bread-making. But the ladies wouldn't sell out bread, and acted like it wasn't good enough. We also put the women at a church girls camp to shame as camp cooks one year. Teh women acted like we had no business cooking there. The girls (about 150 of them) said it was the best food they had ever had at camp. Many said they wished they could get food like we served them at home. They even made us a special plaque for our efforts. We weren't invited back by the women organizers the next year.

I don't look down my nose at women doing the same job as me in the work place, and I don't care for those women who think that men have no business in the kitchen. That's why I hang out here. Our gracious gals are as fair as can be. We are all equals on DC.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks for posting these, GW! They contain no flour so my son can eat them!!!

And Smoke King--you show those ladies!

Back
Top Bottom